PDA

View Full Version : SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner Question

Pages : [1] 2

_M_
11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok I just got a couple bottles in and gave it a try on some not overly dirty wheels, but dirty enough.

Kind of disappointed in the rsults.

My question is I let it sit for aorund 5-8 minutes and it really never changed colors, only on a few spots. Now the weather is cooler today, around 55* F.

Would the cooler weather have slowed down the chemical process of the SONAX or did I do something wrong, or is the product just over rated?

Thanks

agpatel
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
If it does not change color then nor much iron is present (reason for the red color is the reaction to iron particles).

Make sure to use on dry wheels.

_M_
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
If it does not change color then nor much iron is present (reason for the red color is the reaction to iron particles).

Make sure to use on dry wheels.

I did use on dry wheels.

I guess I was expecting it to be a little stronger of a wheel cleaner. DP Wheel Gel works just as well then IMO, maybe better.

Dubbin1
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
DP Wheel Gel works just as well then IMO, maybe better.

That makes me feel better since I have a couple bottles of it on the way. There just isn't much talk at all over the DP wheel cleaner.

CEE DOG
11-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I have the Sonax and after using it a few times wasn't blown away either. I'll go back to my Griots or maybe try the P21S Gel.

Setec Astronomy
11-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I also just tried this last week--basically no color change. Brings into question the efficacy of an "iron-eating" wheel cleaner when most brake pads are ceramic today. So I guess it ate the tiny amount of rotor residue I had :dunno:

Audi X2
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I have been very impressed with the DP Wheel cleaner.

scrib13
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Ditto, did my chrome wheels with the DP and 3-4 weeks later, they are still slick and shiny! Love it so far!!

:dblthumb2:

AeroCleanse
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I have the Sonax and after using it a few times wasn't blown away either. I'll go back to my Griots or maybe try the P21S Gel.

How well does the Griots work? I'm looking for a new wheel cleaner.

ScottB
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Griots is a great value and nice size too ... Sonax color change is cool, but both need some agitation IMO.

RightWay
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I am a big fan of DP wheel cleaner!

_M_
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Griots is a great value and nice size too ... Sonax color change is cool, but both need some agitation IMO.

I'd say the SONAX needs a lot of agitation. I havent tried Griots, I may have to order some.

reality33
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I keep a bottle of SONAX for the tough jobs. I only use it on neglected wheels, and it works wonders on them. For standard wheels, its P21S regular, and if its a car that I have treated, just the car soap.

I agree, if you keep your auto in good condition, you will not notice a difference. The SONAX shines on a really beat surface that needs a aggressive cleaner.

smokinfastlegend
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
While i wont discount sonax so much as it serves a purpose, i have to say i was dissappointed with it. I had a Lincoln Town Car that I had sprayed evenly with Sonax and there was no color change after 10 minutes, and agitation only helped some. I then went to my stand by eagle1 a2z wheel and tire cleaner and it picked up where sonax left off.

twistedframe
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
There must be an issue here somewhere because I use sonax on moderately dirty to filthy wheels and it works great. On most wheels I don't even have to agitate it. Just spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes and spray it off with the pressure washer. I've tried P21s, CG Diablo, and a few other wheel cleaners and none of them have the ability to get some of the stuff off without agitation.

the only cons for sonax to me are that I find myself using more than P21s to coat the wheel since it's a thinner viscosity, and 2 it's a tad on the expensive side, even when you buy in bulk. Regardless though I have found it's the best for the job, while still being safe.