PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Defrost Windows?

ilb3
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey guys I have been sticking to using the heat and scraping away, however, this takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on how cold it is and how thick the frost is.

Anyone use any sprays to cut through the frost?

agpatel
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
The 1z ice stuff, name I forgot, id pretty decent.

Hey guys I have been sticking to using the heat and scraping away, however, this takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on how cold it is and how thick the frost is.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

ilb3
11-29-2010, 12:21 PM
The 1z ice stuff, name I forgot, id pretty decent.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Can i get this locally from an autozone or do I have to order it

BobbyG
11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
If you really need to thaw the windshield in a hurry just pour some cold water directly from the tap. It's probably 55 degrees and will damage absolutely nothing.

Dubbin1
11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Put a piece of cardboard over the windshield. I know that doesn't help with the rest of the windows but it takes car of the biggest part.

agpatel
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Can i get this locally from an autozone or do I have to order it

Yes you will have to order it from AG. If you want something OTC, try the de-icing bottles (spray) prestone sells at autozone they work decent on mild snow/fost/ice. Also use some kind of glass coating which will help frost/ice come of faster.

TLMitchell
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM

I've had mixed experiences using deicer sprays. Yeah, it works, kinda... it's most effective on light accumulations and as soon as the ice softens you'll still need to scrape. The moisture on the glass tries to refreeze until the defroster starts putting out heat. The alcohol content is a better ice preventative than it is a deicer. Plus after you get rolling it ends up all over your vehicle.

Your question was for the "best" way to deal with icy glass... a heated garage :D

Assuming that isn't an option, anyone that has to park outside in a serious winter climate would do well to bite the bullet and spend a couple of hundred dollars and have a remote starter installed. Swipe the money from your budget for others' gifts if you have to. The very first time you walk out to the car after it sits in freezing rain... the kind that's almost impossible to scrape off until you get some heat on it... and you slip inside your pre-warmed cozy and ice-free vehicle while the wind is whipping around your frozen coworkers/neighbors/friends while they're hacking away at the ice on their wondows you'll consider it money well spent and wonder why you didn't do it years ago!

Of course, if you forget to preset the heater controls when you got out of the car it's all for naught. Don't ask. :doh:

TL

Harleyguy
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on . When i got tired of doing that we move to South Florida no more ice no more frost problem solved :xyxthumbs:

TLMitchell
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on . When i got tired of doing that we move to South Florida no more ice no more frost problem solved :xyxthumbs:

Say, effective solution! :props:

How's that work when a hurricane is cruising up your street? :eek:

TL

Rhudeboye
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on .

It is now illegal to do this in MD. Too many have had their cars stolen by doing this. So Police are now ticketing any car left running while unattended.

TLMitchell
11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
It is now illegal to do this in MD. Too many have had their cars stolen by doing this. So Police are now ticketing any car left running while unattended.

Another well-intentioned law. My remote starter works with the doors locked and the engine shuts off if the key isn't in and turned when the shift lever is moved or the brake or gas pedal is touched. I don't suppose they'd tear up a ticket if that was pointed out. After all, like gravity, IT"S THE LAW!

TL

pfix
11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Plus 1 on the remote starter. The biggest thing with them is to remember to turn the blower and heat on high defrost before you get out.Major time saver and much safer than trying to drive with windows that are not clear.

Meghan
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
:iagree:

master detailer
11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
move to fl

Bert31
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I have seen neighbors put the cheap car mats on their windshields the night before. Looks a little trashy and surprised more don't get stolen but it does work for the most part.