PDA

View Full Version : IPA wipedowns

PAR Detailing
11-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm just curious as to everyones wipedown procedure. Do you spray and immediately wipe or let it sit and then wipe? Or something different? Just curious, thanks.

Jon

Kurt_s
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm just curious as to everyones wipedown procedure. Do you spray and immediately wipe or let it sit and then wipe? Or something different? Just curious, thanks.

Jon

Good question. I spray to wet the paint and don't dwell for more than a few seconds. I am only trying to solubilize residual polish and waxes that might be retained in any missed swirls so that I can wipe then up with a MF towel. Then I can either remove those missed swirls or move on.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I had left the IPA to dwell one time and it got under the green 3M tape that I had been using at the time. After the job was done and I pulled the tape I noticed that the IPA that had got under the tape had actually etched into the clear and it caused an extra hours worth of polishing near edges. Now when I use IPA as a progress checking measure I spray on and wipe off immediately and am sure to stay away from the tape with it. Just a heads up so nobody else has to experience this hang up.

DARK HORSE
11-28-2010, 12:00 PM
After spraying on wipe off rather quickly, as the alcohol will start to evaporate quickly. Letting it sit to long before wiping can generate streaking issues.

DARK HORSE
11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I had left the IPA to dwell one time and it got under the green 3M tape that I had been using at the time. After the job was done and I pulled the tape I noticed that the IPA that had got under the tape had actually etched into the clear and it caused an extra hours worth of polishing near edges. Now when I use IPA as a progress checking measure I spray on and wipe off immediately and am sure to stay away from the tape with it. Just a heads up so nobody else has to experience this hang up.

Great info Dave, thanks for sharing this! I have heard this before somewhere else (maybe from you) I can't remember. I've often thought about this when doing IPA wipe downs from when I heard it before. Thanks for sharing with and reminding us:props:

BobbyG
11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Great info Dave, thanks for sharing this! I have heard this before somewhere else (maybe from you) I can't remember. I've often thought about this when doing IPA wipe downs from when I heard it before. Thanks for sharing with and reminding us:props:

I agree Tad, this is a very good point!

Another thing to remember is it's a generally accepted practice to thin Isopropyl Alcohol 50/50 water to alcohol. This cuts its aggressiveness and also allow it not to evaporate as quickly redepositing any oils or contaminates.

alexjn1
11-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I like to spritz and then wipe immediately, no dwelling at all.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Another thing to remember is it's a generally accepted practice to thin Isopropyl Alcohol 50/50 water to alcohol. This cuts its aggressiveness and also allow it not to evaporate as quickly redepositing any oils or contaminates.
I was using 70% when it etched the paint. I'll have to dilute it a bit.

Dan Metzler
11-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Still cut 50/50 regardless if it is 98% or 91%? The 98% is hard to find.

slickooz
11-28-2010, 11:23 PM
What do you use for IPA? What do I need to mix?

IOMCAMARO
11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
What do you use for IPA? What do I need to mix?

IPA= Isopropyl Alcohol. Mix it with distilled water. 1 part IPA 1 part DW.

slickooz
11-28-2010, 11:54 PM
What if I cant find distill water? Can tap water work? sorry for these newb questions.

IOMCAMARO
11-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Distilled water can be found at Walmart by the gallon for 98 cents.

bunyz06rabbitt
11-29-2010, 02:05 AM
With tap water you're looking at hard water and or mineral deposit issues, be careful, don't be lazy or negligent!

tuscarora dave
11-29-2010, 03:35 AM
What if I cant find distill water? Can tap water work? sorry for these newb questions.
The bottled spring water at the local corner store would be better than tap water too. The process of reverse osmosis removes most of the total dissolved solids (TDS) that are found in tap water. While the spring water is not totally free of TDS like distilled water the TDS is very low and will not cause any issues.