PDA

View Full Version : Need Hose Recommendation

IID
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Can anyone recommend a Quality,Kink-free,High Volume(.750"), hose that will still be a excellent compliment for:
Fire-Hose Nossel(AG's)
NEW CG's/NEW Adams foam gun (the non-adjustable one's)

I'm looking for a replacement for the cheapo WalMart hose I have now? Looking for a hose that when you un-roll it,it don't retain the rolled-up shape.

Thanx

Old Tiger
11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I bought a 100 ft. 3/4" diameter Gilmour with a lifetime warranty. I found a DRAM brass HD shut off valve and Nelson quick disconnects to be the best quality. I got all on Amazon. Well worth the money. Gilmour is a lighter weight and flexible choice. If it fails, I cut off the fittings and mail to Gilmour for a replacement, Bigger diameter wont kink or hang on tires as ea
sy IME!

Free 2 day shipping on everything too.

IID
11-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I bought a 100 ft. 3/4" diameter Gilmour with a lifetime warranty. I found a DRAM brass HD shut off valve and Nelson quick disconnects to be the best quality. I got all on Amazon. Well worth the money. Gilmour is a lighter weight and flexible choice. If it fails, I cut off the fittings and mail to Gilmour for a replacement, Bigger diameter wont kink or hang on tires as ea
sy IME!

Free 2 day shipping on everything too.

Excellent,I've seen that one before.I like the warranty as well!
Thank You Old Tiger

BTW when you un-roll the hose,you don't get the coil shape do you?

Old Tiger
11-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Excellent,I've seen that one before.I like the warranty as well!
Thank You Old Tiger

BTW when you un-roll the hose,you don't get the coil shape do you?
If its warm outside, its not a problem after I turn the water on, It is very flexible when warm. No hose will uncoil in cold weather without a little help. This one is by far the least susceptable Ive ever owned. I used to own a very heavy duty rubber hose, 3/4", This one is far easier to handle. I cant overstate how good the DRAM HD shut off valve and Nelson disconnects are too, My old Gilmour cant compare. The DRAM is ~ $23, but is so well made that it is well worth it! Now I also bought a very fine fire hose nozzle from Amazon for ~ $23. It is made of machined alumum and is first rate too!

IID
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
If its warm outside, its not a problem after I turn the water on, It is very flexible when warm. No hose will uncoil in cold weather without a little help. This one is by far the least susceptable Ive ever owned. I used to own a very heavy duty rubber hose, 3/4", This one is far easier to handle. I cant overstate how good the DRAM HD shut off valve and Nelson disconnects are too, My old Gilmour cant compare. The DRAM is ~ $23, but is so well made that it is well worth it! Now I also bought a very fine fire hose nozzle from Amazon for ~ $23. It is made of machined alumum and is first rate too!

:props:

ScottB
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I often look for one marked "commercial use". They often last longer and dont "seem" to kink as much. They cost slightly more but come with a good warranty. Keep the receipt and center description plaque as they really do stand by them and replace without issue if one goes bad.

IID
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I often look for one marked "commercial use". They often last longer and dont "seem" to kink as much. They cost slightly more but come with a good warranty. Keep the receipt and center description plaque as they really do stand by them and replace without issue if one goes bad.

Would AG consider retailing thse quality hoses and supporting hardware for us Geek'rs ?

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2010, 12:17 PM
You want a rubber hose rather than a vinyl one if you don't want it to retain that "coiled" shape. The rubber is more flexible in cold temps and isn't UV-affected in the same way that the vinyl is (the vinyl loses plasticizers and with it, flexibility, from heat, UV exposure, aging, etc).

As was mentioned in that other thread, Sears has a line of rubber Craftsman hoses that have a lifetime warranty, they are the black hex ones with the machined fittings. You can get something similar at Home Depot/Lowes, Goodyear and perhaps others.

arenared
11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I would give another vote for the rubber hose if weight is not an issue. They are very flexible, especially useful when it's cold. I have a natural redish color one in my front yard that is at least 5 years old, and it is as flexible as new. Zero coiling.

I would give two big thumbs down to the Craftsman black rubber hoses, however. The fittings are quite restrictive, but the real problem is the black leaves black marks all over everything it touches. I have one in my backyard, and I'm tired of having to touch up paint on the house and clean all the black marks off the patio. I only keep it because I don't use it very often, although now that I see natural colored ones sold online maybe I will replace it.

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I would give another vote for the rubber hose if weight is not an issue. They are very flexible, especially useful when it's cold. I have a natural redish color one in my front yard that is at least 5 years old, and it is as flexible as new. Zero coiling.

I would give two big thumbs down to the Craftsman black rubber hoses, however. The fittings are quite restrictive, but the real problem is the black leaves black marks all over everything it touches. I have one in my backyard, and I'm tired of having to touch up paint on the house and clean all the black marks off the patio. I only keep it because I don't use it very often, although now that I see natural colored ones sold online maybe I will replace it.

I appreciate what you are saying about the black marking from the Craftsman hoses, but red is not the "natural" color of rubber (besides, not too many products are "natural" rubber, most rubber is synthetic rubber). Carbon black is frequently used as a rubber additive (like in tires) to provide UV resistance and other properties. The black that comes off the Craftsman hoses is from UV degradation and oxidation of the hose material. They need to be wiped down periodically...not that it wouldn't be better to have a hose that didn't do this. I don't find the fittings restrictive, but I did have one separate from the hose which was no fun (replaced under warranty).