PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what type of garden hose I use?

Pages : [1] 2

newb001
11-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Was thinking of getting an extra garden hose to do my non-ONR car washes (as I wash my car at my parent's house and their 1 hose is usually connected to the faucet at the far end of the house away from the driveway...), and am finding a huge range of choices.

As an example, at Sears they range from $10 to $50 for a 50ft hose (Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?filter=storeOrigin%7CSears&viewItems=24&keyword=50ft+hose&sortOption=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH)).

Does it really matter as far as washing a car goes? I will only be using it to rinse the car, fill buckets, wash tires, and perhaps with an inexpensive Gilmour foam gun.

I'm inclined to just go with one of the cheapest available (providing it doesn't feel like cr-p when I see it in the store), but wasn't sure if certain hoses provide better pressure of whatnot, etc...

Thanks for any thoughts!

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The higher the diameter on the hose is, the higher that water volume will be. Some hoses are heavier and more durable, they don't kink much and won't pop if pressure builds up. Some hoses a lightweight, they will kink easier, but they are easier to move. The fittings on the hose are important as they will determine the resistant of the hose to leaking.

It all depends on your preference for hoses, my choice is a 50 ft goodyear hose with 3/4 inch diameter. The hose is equipped with filter screens on both ends along with a quick disconnect and on/off valve. I like the set up because i get maximum water flow and pressure, also i can quickly change between a foam gun and fire nozzle without ever wasting water.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2010, 12:13 AM
I think one of the worst things in life is a cheap hose that is hard and retains the coil shape after having been rolled up for a while. I spent $50 for 75 feet of hose at Ace hardware and got a decent hose. I do however see a better hose in my future. The best hose I have used to date was a Craftsman black rubber hose that had a hex shape to it. If you plan on using your hose often, spend the $50 instead of wasting the $10. Just my opinion. The well pump or the city water authority determines the water pressure unless you have an adjustable water pressure regulator installed in your home. The different hoses will not affect the pressure.

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 12:30 AM
The different hoses will not affect the pressure.

I beg to differ on this. If you have a change in volume going through the same size orifice you will have a change in pressure directly proportional to the volume. (insert ugly looking calculus relation here)

Laidler, Meiser and Sanctuary Physical Chemistry 4th edition pg 374

So if you take into account the volume increase by bringing the same length of hose (50 ft) from 5/8" to 3/4" you would have a volume increase from 183.9 cu in. to 264.9 cu in. This would significantly increase the water pressure, especially considering that the restriction of the hose is normally the limiting factor in water flow.

jpegs13
11-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Pressure is increased by restricting the flow. Volume is increased by an unrestricted flow.
If you're looking to increase the AMOUNT of water to the end source you use a larger hose. If you're looking to increase PRESSURE to the end source you use a smaller diameter hose.

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 12:41 AM
And any nozzle is going to restrict the flow. So more water trying to get through the same place, means greater pressure. Next time i'll elaborate the thought process more, sorry bout that.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I beg to differ on this. If you have a change in volume going through the same size orifice you will have a change in pressure directly proportional to the volume. (insert ugly looking calculus relation here)

Laidler, Meiser and Sanctuary Physical Chemistry 4th edition pg 374

So if you take into account the volume increase by bringing the same length of hose (50 ft) from 5/8" to 3/4" you would have a volume increase from 183.9 cu in. to 264.9 cu in. This would significantly increase the water pressure, especially considering that the restriction of the hose is normally the limiting factor in water flow.
I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Absolutely correct with uninterrupted flow. I'm with you on that. My thought process was relating to sudden restriction like the nozzle i have attached. 6988

I'm not going to argue bernoulli because he is proven correct in his principle. I was just thinking of the principle in terms of end result, not necessarily the whole system. If you get a chance, put the type of nozzle i show on your hoses and compare. The difference is there.

tuscarora dave
11-28-2010, 12:58 AM
I have that nozzle, it is nice for blasting the dust and splatter out of the cracks.

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I have that nozzle, it is nice for blasting the dust and splatter out of the cracks.

I recommend anyone who details to have one on a quick disconnect just for that reason. Also works amazing in doorjams. Spray them down with apc before washing then blast the nastiness out with the stream nozzle. There is very little splatter if done correctly.

dougaross
11-28-2010, 01:13 AM
I'd be concerned that I wouldn't do it properly and end up with crud and water all over the inside of my car

JonMiles
11-28-2010, 01:40 AM
That is when the on/off valve comes in handy. You can use it as a flow control to start slow (least aggressive) then progress until you are comfortable with the technique. If you start at the top of the hinges and work down and around the bottom of the door you can do it successfully. The key is keeping control of the angle so any overspray ends up on the ground and not in the car. The part of the jam near the doorsill takes a little getting used to and I find it helpful to start at about the door latch (a little higher depending on the shapes) then work down the side of the sill.

I have a car to work on tomorrow so i'll try to make a short video for reference.

Dubbin1
11-28-2010, 02:23 AM
I always buy the cheap hoses and regret it every time. And every time I buy those cheap hoses I say I will never do it again...

Kurt_s
11-28-2010, 02:39 AM
I have a car to work on tomorrow so i'll try to make a short video for reference.

:dblthumb2:

DaHen
11-28-2010, 05:29 AM

Good. Looking forward to seeing your procedure.

:dblthumb2: