PDA

View Full Version : Painted Aluminum Wheels with dings

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
11-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I put a couple of small dings into my clear-coated aluminum wheels. Is there something I can use to touch up these spots so they don't begin to corrode?

Bobby B.
11-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Are they Painted Aluminum Wheels or Polished Aluminum Wheels that have been Clear Coated?

mcpp66
11-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Ummm, I don't really know.......they're the factory wheels for a 2010 Camaro. The Web site says "Painted Aluminum Wheels", probably painted with clear coat.

mcpp66
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
No suggestions??

fairlady350z
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
look online to get a color code and try something like dr. colorchip or touchup paint and clear it. If the "small" chips are too deep you'll have have them repainted to have them look perfect again.

mcpp66
11-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I didn't think Dr. Colorchip sold clearcoat touchup paint. Will check that on Monday.

fairlady350z
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
what I said was either dr. colorchip OR touch up paint with the same color code and get a little bottle of clear coat to put on the plain touch up paint. If it's too deep you may have to build the paint back up and wet sand it like you would a deep chip/scratch on paint...

mcpp66
11-28-2010, 04:57 PM
My wheels aren't painted with colored paint, they're just clear coated.

fairlady350z
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Ummm, I don't really know.......they're the factory wheels for a 2010 Camaro. The Web site says "Painted Aluminum Wheels", probably painted with clear coat.

Painted aluminum wheels means they are exactly that......wheels that are made of aluminum that are painted...

A simple search on google like I suggested yields these results... the characters in bold are the color code

Midnight Silver Metallic (Wheel Color) WA263M
Black (Wheel Color) WA8555
Bavarian Silver Metallic (Wheel Color) WA9752

IOMCAMARO
11-28-2010, 09:04 PM
My wheels aren't painted with colored paint, they're just clear coated.

So you have what is called the polished aluminum on your Camaro. They're called polished aluminum, but they are clear coated. I have no idea why Chevy called them that. All you need to do is get some clear coat and touch it up. Walmart sells little cans of touch up clear coat. You might need to wetsand them down a little after you use it. I have the RS rims, and mine are painted aluminum. They're Midnight Silver Metallic. And can I ask which model of rims and Camaro you have so I know for sure?

mcpp66
11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
So you have what is called the polished aluminum on your Camaro. They're called polished aluminum, but they are clear coated. I have no idea why Chevy called them that. All you need to do is get some clear coat and touch it up. Walmart sells little cans of touch up clear coat. You might need to wetsand them down a little after you use it. I have the RS rims, and mine are painted aluminum. They're Midnight Silver Metallic. And can I ask which model of rims and Camaro you have so I know for sure?

You can ask, but I can't answer. I have the RS model car and I'm pretty sure they're the standard wheels. I have a 2LT (I should have spent the extra money and purchased the 2SS, I'm still regretting that).

IOMCAMARO
11-29-2010, 01:29 AM
You can ask, but I can't answer. I have the RS model car and I'm pretty sure they're the standard wheels. I have a 2LT (I should have spent the extra money and purchased the 2SS, I'm still regretting that).

I have the 1LT/RS. I didn't want leather lol. I don't regret getting the 1SS or 2SS just for the price of gas. If you have the RS you could still have the polished aluminum. Do you have any pictures of your car? The polished aluminum was an option for the RS package also. My wheels have dings and stuff too, along with two of them having curb rash (don't ask what happened lol). I'm just gonna have a professional repair all of them next spring.

mcpp66
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll have to learn how to properly post pictures first.

IOMCAMARO
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I'll have to learn how to properly post pictures first.

Ok. I'm subscribed to this thread whenever you get them up I'll help ya.

mcpp66
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Okay, here's my whip!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/rsz_2shiny1.jpg