PDA

View Full Version : trying to decide??

gmcguy
11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Ive got a pc da right now and its done a great job for me in the past. I only do 3 vehicles a year ( my truck, and my parents auto). All 3 are maintained very well and in very good shape. What I'm trying to decide is...is it worth it to spend $300 on the flex 3401 or would I be just as well off buying some 4in pads for my pc if I do need to do any correcting? Thanks for the opinions!

JonMiles
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM
If you only detail 3 cars per year then a flex doesn't seem worth it. I don't see the point in spending 300+ for a machine that is only going to be used every once in a while. A PC is perfect for the weekend detailer with some 5.5 pads and 4" pads for tight spots, you can get rid of most defects with no problem.

IMO you would be better off getting some quality pads and quality polishes. Maybe 105 and some surbuf pads for deeper stuff, and sip and 85rd with ccs orange,white and black pads for the minor stuff.

c5z06camaro
11-27-2010, 02:11 PM
What he said^^^

PAR Detailing
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
If you only detail 3 cars per year then a flex doesn't seem worth it. I don't see the point in spending 300+ for a machine that is only going to be used every once in a while. A PC is perfect for the weekend detailer with some 5.5 pads and 4" pads for tight spots, you can get rid of most defects with no problem.

IMO you would be better off getting some quality pads and quality polishes. Maybe 105 and some surbuf pads for deeper stuff, and sip and 85rd with ccs orange,white and black pads for the minor stuff.

I agree 100%. I have the flex and I love it but if you only do 3 cars per year then I would do just as Jon Miles said and spend it on polishes and pads and maybe a few fun lsp's.

I would get 105, SIP, 205, and 85rd for sure. Those seem to be the polishes I reach for the most. Also get several pads for each color: surbuf, cyan, tang, orange, white, black. Then you will be set for just about any correcting you need to do on those three cars.

gmcguy
11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Kinda what I was thinking.....was just trying to talk myself out of a new toy. Imagine that!! LOL Thanks guys

Dubbin1
11-27-2010, 03:21 PM
If you can afford the Flex then go ahead and get it, you will love it. Just understand that you can do the same thing with the PC ;)

yakky
11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
If you have an older PC, the flex might come in handy, but if you have an XP, you are fine. Might be fun to pick up a crappy Harbor Freight rotary for $40 to play with though and save the rest for a rainy day.

tuscarora dave
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Here's how I think. How much is your time worth? For me getting three cars a year done in half the time is worth the extra money. Then again I enjoy doing this stuff so to do my own stuff I wouldn't mind taking the extra time if detailing was a hobby. If it's a chore then get the flex. If it's a hobby then don't.

05xrunner
11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I guess it depends on what you want..I had a PC original one for 2years..I got a Flex about a month ago..Granted I have only been able to use it one time because the weather changed and car is put away for the year..I only do 1 car, my own but I wanted the flex so i bought it..I liked using it more then the PC..I was able to use 6.5" pads so I was able to cover a little larger of an area at a time..I didnt have to worry about the flex stalling on spinning at every little curve in body panel like the PC would do and I have to try and adjust my hold just perfect so it would spin at all. it corrects faster and doesnt make my hands go numb from vibrations like the PC did to me. I now only use my PC to apply glazes and will get a 3.5" adapter for it so I can use it just for small tight spots I cant get to with the flex.

slickooz
11-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Which pads are better the black flat or the blue flat for putting wax on?

05xrunner
11-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I am guessing you are talking about the normal lake county blue flat not the hydro tech...for wax I use red CCS pad..but if I was to use a flat pad for wax..I think I would use a Red Hydrotech..the blue would be fine to, Gray would be fine to but I think that pad is better for using with a fine polish to give your paint an even deep glossy look then using it as a wax applicator pad. I am no expert though..

Nick R.
11-27-2010, 08:57 PM
You only live once, and if you can afford it, bite the bullet and buy a Flex.

A Corvette convertible and a Miata both provide pleasurable top down motoring, and of course you can easily justify spending the money on the Miata versus the 'Vette for a summer car. But when winter is over and you fire up that 'Vette for the first time in 5 months, it provides a sense of warmth and power that the Miata simply can't match. You don't NEED the Corvette, and frankly you will probably never get the opportunity to unleash all of its 400+ ponies under the hood, but if you can afford it and you enjoy driving with the top down hearing the rumble from its pushrod V8, that feeling alone can justify the cost.

Who knows, maybe if you had a nicer DA you would do a couple more vehicles every now and then for a few extra bucks on the side. The PC is a great machine, but it's no 'Vette...errr....Flex. ;)

tuscarora dave
11-27-2010, 11:09 PM
You only live once, and if you can afford it, bite the bullet and buy a Flex.

A Corvette convertible and a Miata both provide pleasurable top down motoring, and of course you can easily justify spending the money on the Miata versus the 'Vette for a summer car. But when winter is over and you fire up that 'Vette for the first time in 5 months, it provides a sense of warmth and power that the Miata simply can't match. You don't NEED the Corvette, and frankly you will probably never get the opportunity to unleash all of its 400+ ponies under the hood, but if you can afford it and you enjoy driving with the top down hearing the rumble from its pushrod V8, that feeling alone can justify the cost.

Who knows, maybe if you had a nicer DA you would do a couple more vehicles every now and then for a few extra bucks on the side. The PC is a great machine, but it's no 'Vette...errr....Flex. ;)
Nice analogy and IMO an accurate one too.

ROMEO
11-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Back when I stared reading this forum, and how useful both can be I got both on the same day, this was about 3 months ago, and all I got to do was 4 cars, and I'm glad I got them both.

I guess it all comes down to if you want them and have the extra $$$ for it.