PDA

View Full Version : Mixing OHC with XMT #3

Pages : [1] 2

ltoman
12-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Do you guys think this would be any more effective on the vette swirls?
I tried iton a badly swirled and very neglected ( as in NEVER even waxed!! no joke) 2001 Saturn wagon hood and I think it came nicely. Of course, by mixing those I had no clue what I was doing. But is looks ten times better. What do you all think of thos as a mix? Any more effective on a hrad, hard clear coat??
Thanks,
Lauren

Surfer
12-05-2006, 12:59 AM
IMO no, if anything it would lessen the cutting ability of OHC which is very aggressive, XMT3 seems like it's more along the lines of OC/SSR2.5. On the Vette you will want OHC by itself witha at least an orange cutting pad, no way around it unless you have a rotary, use those products and a good amount of pressure on the PC and you'll see results. If not, you'll pry need somebody witha rotary to do the car. Plenty of guys ahve used the PC on hard clears, just takes longer.

ltoman
12-05-2006, 01:02 AM
IMO no, if anything it would lessen the cutting ability of OHC which is very aggressive, XMT3 seems like it's more along the lines of OC/SSR2.5.

Where does SSR.5 fall in their line? Medium? What is strongest by SSR?

So in your
opinion, it (XMT#3) mixedin is softening up the ohc,yes?
Thank you,
Lauren:)

abrcrombe
12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
ssr 2.5 is the midrange with about the same cut as XMT 3. OHC is a step above and usually works best with a PC, but I have heard of some success with a PC, just not a lot of people get it to work.

abrcrombe
12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
ssr 2.5 is the midrange with about the same cut as XMT 2. OHC is a step above and usually works best with a PC, but I have heard of some success with a PC, just not a lot of people get it to work.

supercharged
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
ssr 2.5 is the midrange with about the same cut as XMT 2. OHC is a step above and usually works best with a PC, but I have heard of some success with a PC, just not a lot of people get it to work.
Huh? I think you doble posted, and second post is wrong. Pinnacle XMT3 has the same cut as Poorboy's SSR2.5.

Waxmax
12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
OHC is designed for a rotary and OC is more PC compatible. OC finishes very nicely and is slightly more aggressive than XMT3 (=SSR2.5). OC is one of my favorite swirl removers using a PC. SSR3 is the most aggressive of the PB swirl removers.

IMO, OC is as effective as SSR3, and OC finishes better. SSR3 will leave some minor swirls/hazing, but that can be cleaned up in a polishing step.

ltoman
12-05-2006, 11:53 AM
OHC is designed for a rotary and OC is more PC compatible. OC finishes very nicely and is slightly more aggressive than XMT3 (=SSR2.5). OC is one of my favorite swirl removers using a PC. SSR3 is the most aggressive of the PB swirl removers.

IMO, OC is as effective as SSR3, and OC finishes better. SSR3 will leave some minor swirls/hazing, but that can be cleaned up in a polishing step.

Oh gosh. Several forum memebers told me to go for OHC with the pc followed by Optimum Polish. I guess I will just have to get them all and try them all, as this seems to be the season to do it.

If I go with SSR3, which do you follow it with? 1? or do you need to use 2.5 first, then 1?

Guys?

Lauren

ltoman
12-05-2006, 11:54 AM
ssr 2.5 is the midrange with about the same cut as XMT 3. OHC is a step above and usually works best with a PC, but I have heard of some success with a PC, just not a lot of people get it to work.

Not a lot of people get it to work - can you please expound on that? I know I am a dingaling, but I wanted to know, in your opinion, why?
Anyone?

Waxmax
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
For me, OHC really requires a rotary to work best (to get the abrasives to breakdown and finish properly), not that some will get success with a PC or cyclo. And, experimenting is not all bad (like mixing products)....but to experiment on a 2007 C6 may not be the right place.

For vette's (with their hard clearcoat), I usually first try a polish designed for hard clears (Menzerna 106 or BF Scratch Resistant Clear Polish). I then work spots with OC using a PC (with 4" orange pad), then finish with another application of one of the above mentioned polishes.

ltoman
12-05-2006, 12:21 PM
For me, OHC really requires a rotary to work best (to get the abrasives to breakdown and finish properly), not that some will get success with a PC or cyclo. And, experimenting is not all bad (like mixing products)....but to experiment on a 2007 C6 may not be the right place.

For vette's (with their hard clearcoat), I usually first try a polish designed for hard clears (Menzerna 106 or BF Scratch Resistant Clear Polish). I then work spots with OC using a PC (with 4" orange pad), then finish with another application of one of the above mentioned polishes.

Ahh, thank you for your input.
I am practicing on our older, totally neglected cars. (No fear - I would not THINK to do this to the vette! Thank you for being so considerate of my car.)

The Saturn hood I tried it on went from day to night :righton: - it had never even had a waxing!! The other is our 98 Plymouth van hood, also in the same condition. Both greatly improved. So I have 2 test vehicles - I test everything there FIRST! (Glad we have them!!!!)

BF is? Do you prefer the Menzerna 206 or the other yourself?:confused:

Gracias!!:righton:
Lauren :) :)

Surfer
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
You know, for a teacher you have a lot of time to post:D:p

Waxmax
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Itoman- since you have a couple "test" vehicles, then experimenting is no problem. In fact you could try the OHC and a PC and see what you think. I am just alittle conservative sometimes and tend to live with a few swirls rather than risk damaging clearcoat. I do know first hand that vette's are tough to get swirl free with a PC.

The BF Scratch Resistant Clear is designed more for enthusiasts and contains alittle more polishing oil than the Menzerna 106. On the C6 I would try that with a PC and see what you think.

ltoman
12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
You know, for a teacher you have a lot of time to post:D:p

You musn't be selling many houses, either, over there ...
(For all you know, this is not even MY identity I am using.)

Glad to hear you like me, cause your always checking up on me. Yes, I am afraid that I am as hot as my vette.
Now what are YOU supposed to be doing besides looking for posts from the hot red vette?:p

ryandamartini
12-05-2006, 03:28 PM
1) No do not mix them. Two different companies and different levels of abrasiveness, OHC being higher than that of XMT3. No benefits would occur as it doesnt dust by itself.

2) SSR2.5 is rougly equal to that of XMT3 Their strongest compound is SSR3. It does induce maring sometimes, but that is easily buffed out.

3) If you do go with SSR3 first and all the swirls are gone, go straight to SSR1 to take out the maring and any light defects left.

About not alot of people get OHC to work properly on the PC means that the PC plainly doesnt break done the abrasives well enough. A rotary polish for sure on this one. You might see some results, however they arent showing the full cut of OHC.