PDA

View Full Version : What pad would you follow up with?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-25-2010, 08:44 PM
after compounding with a rotary, wool, and M105? Second step would be with a rotary + "?" + M205. 3rd step would be with 3401 + black + 85rd.

Orange or white for the second step? I know there's different variables, but most likely...

Dr Oldz
11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
8 times out of ten a white works great for me....the other times is those "variables"

Fly bye
11-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Why not use the Flex and a white pad for the 2nd step?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Why not use the Flex and a white pad for the 2nd step?

I know I could do that, just would like to learn on the rotary as well.

Harleyguy
11-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Mark
Just don't assume your going to have pull out the wool first shot with the rotary. You will be very surprised how well the white Kompressor pad and the rotary is going to correct heavy swirls on clear coat as hard as the vette's.

detaildave
11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Mark
Just don't assume your going to have pull out the wool first shot with the rotary. You will be very surprised how well the white Kompressor pad and the rotary is going to correct heavy swirls on clear coat as hard as the vette's.
Agree 100%

WRAPT C5Z06
11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Mark
Whoa!! Thanks Adam, I had no idea a white kompressor has so much correction power! Even with M205? Should I start with M105? I will obviously do a test spot, just kinda curious ahead of time. :xyxthumbs:

tuscarora dave
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM
M-105 with a white LC VC polishing pad on a rotary is what I went after that black Z-06 with and it cut well and left minimal marring that cleaned up with a red pad on the Flex 3401 with M-205. Amazing stuff that 105/205!!

Kurt_s
11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
M-105 with a white LC VC polishing pad on a rotary is what I went after that black Z-06 with and it cut well and left minimal marring that cleaned up with a red pad on the Flex 3401 with M-205. Amazing stuff that 105/205!!

TD,
I don't own a rotary and I'm not sure if it would be worth my time buying and learning how to use it at this point. So that I understand some of the discussions, do you use a regular red flat pad and 205 as a finishing polish with the rotary instead of the PO85rd?
Thanks!

WRAPT C5Z06
11-26-2010, 01:27 PM
TD,
I don't own a rotary and I'm not sure if it would be worth my time buying and learning how to use it at this point.
If you own or ever work on Vette's, you'll want a rotary! ;)

Kurt_s
11-26-2010, 02:09 PM
If you own or ever work on Vette's, you'll want a rotary! ;)

That bad? Wow... I still like my bimmers but the new Audi's look really nice.

Is the rotary that much better than your Flex?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
That bad? Wow... I still like my bimmers but the new Audi's look really nice.

Is the rotary that much better than your Flex?
The 3401 is a great tool, but on the ridiculously hard clear coat of a Vette, a rotary is definitely superior. I tried M105/surbuf/3401 on a black C5 z06 a couple days ago(lots of swirls), and while it did a fairly good job, it was nowhere near where I wanted it to be. You can't see the swirls as easily on my metallic silver, but I know they're there.

tuscarora dave
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
TD,
I don't own a rotary and I'm not sure if it would be worth my time buying and learning how to use it at this point. So that I understand some of the discussions, do you use a regular red flat pad and 205 as a finishing polish with the rotary instead of the PO85rd?
Thanks!
I have never used the PO85RD but to answer your question, yes M-205 with either a rotary or Flex DA on a red pad works fine for me. I use the Variable Contact 5.5" pads that Poorboy's World sells on their site that are designed for use on the Flex DA. I use them on both the Flex DA and the rotary. I bought 3 orange, 3 white and 2 red and have been using them hard since early spring with no issues. Not bad for 8 pads to last all year long and I do this for a living.

Kurt_s
11-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I have never used the PO85RD but to answer your question, yes M-205 with either a rotary or Flex DA on a red pad works fine for me. I use the Variable Contact 5.5" pads that Poorboy's World sells on their site that are designed for use on the Flex DA. I use them on both the Flex DA and the rotary. I bought 3 orange, 3 white and 2 red and have been using them hard since early spring with no issues. Not bad for 8 pads to last all year long and I do this for a living.

I've have a number of polishes and never got around to trying 205. I use M105 and UC all the time, but I have a bottle of Opt Hyper Spray Compound that I am dying to try. I thought that I have a car this weekend to experiment on but alas no joy!

8 pads, full time and no issues., that's great I've damaged a couple of pads in the past year, including a 5.5" buff n' shine that lasted 2 cars. It was my fault, so I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for the insights!

WRAPT C5Z06
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a bottle of Opt Hyper Spray Compound that I am dying to try.
It's great stuff. It doesn't have quite the cut as M105, but doesn't dry as fast. I've been told with a rotary, it leaves less holograms than M105. I've only used it with a DA, though.