PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Cars...

mcneguy
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
So my daughter has lived in LA since graduating college (Marquette), she was working in the TV/Movie production business. Of course, that business has been hit hard so now she is living with us in Florida.

Her 2006 Ford Focus looked kind of dingy and I just bought the 7424XP so I thought I would use its maiden voyage shining up her car. I washed the car and grabbed the towel that came with my Forum Favorite kit to dry the thing and sweet fancy Moses, I have never felt paint like that on a car, ever. It felt like sandpaper, I wasn't planning on using the clay bar on the car because, well it's just my goofy daughters car but I think I have to now.

Folks from LA, is this a normal thing or just the standard lack of care by a 25 year old girl?

SeaJay's
11-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Any car will collect rail dust and industrial fall out. I'm sure in the LA area where smog and the population is much higher these elements are much more condensed. So, it's probably a mix of being in LA and not taking care of the cars paint. I would definitely clay bar it. Probably going to take you some time if it's as bad as you say.

A good claying should remove everything. Just make sure you have plenty of clay because it may require more than one piece.

mcneguy
11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I just did her hood and the gook is a brown color, kind of like what curtains in homes that are lived in by smokers look like. Good call on needing more clay, I am using the poly bar that came with my kit from AG and I don't see this lasting the entire car.

I'm thinking that I may be in over my head on this one, it might have been better left to professionals.

SeaJay's
11-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Don't get discouraged! It's just a lot of work. You can go to your local Autozone, Pep boys, or where ever and get your self some more clay. Typically Mothers or Megs has a kit you can buy that has usually two clay bars.

Also just ensure your kneading the clay every panel or so to ensure you have a clean section to work with.

Its a lot of work but in the end the finish will really shine. If you don't want to put in the time and stuff then maybe you would better off giving it to a professional detailer. However, if your looking for a challenge and some practice I would go ahead and keep going. It's good practice and you learn the techniques.

DaHen
11-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind that she just drove it across the country. From one coast to the other.
Don't know what elements were in the air along the way.

Go get that clay bar and get to work, lol.

Kurt_s
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
So my daughter has lived in LA since graduating college (Marquette), she was working in the TV/Movie production business. Of course, that business has been hit hard so now she is living with us in Florida.

Her 2006 Ford Focus looked kind of dingy and I just bought the 7424XP so I thought I would use its maiden voyage shining up her car. I washed the car and grabbed the towel that came with my Forum Favorite kit to dry the thing and sweet fancy Moses, I have never felt paint like that on a car, ever. It felt like sandpaper, I wasn't planning on using the clay bar on the car because, well it's just my goofy daughters car but I think I have to now.

Folks from LA, is this a normal thing or just the standard lack of care by a 25 year old girl?

If the car never got washed and waxed, then part of it is the 25 year old girl. My step sister in law's car is like that. Heck, my wife's aunt's car is like that. Age may not really matter.

We don't get a lot of rain, so stuff is always in the air. It does not take long to build up stuff on the paint. We also get lots of sun and heat, so things get baked in without getting rinsed off by rain. We also measure distance in time not miles, which can be weird if you are from other parts of the US. We drive a lot and spend a lot of time in our vehicles. Many will commute an hour or more to work each day. It's nothing for us to drive 2 hours each way to visit friends or family.

I worked next to LAX and used a car cover to cut down on fallout. If she worked near LAX, you have jet fuel and metal shavings falling from aircraft all the time. As a rep in LA, I had a white company car that always looked like there were tiny little rust dots on the paint from the fallout. There is so much traffic at all hours of the day, there is always stuff coming off trucks, cars and trains too.

I live about 40 miles outside of LA with much less traffic and fallout, and still clay a few times per year to keep that baby butt smooth feel to the paint. Clay will make correction and polishing so much easier. You will feel the difference in the pad movement between clayed and missed spots where you didn't get all the stuff off. If you find spots where you missed with the clay, take a moment to pull out the clay to pull off the surface bound contaminants.

You may also find it beneficial to use a chemical prewax paint cleaner or even mineral spirits if you find that clay is not taking some of the stuff off the paint easily. When I see little black spots on my paint on the lower quarter panels, I will sometimes use a tar remover before the clay to see if I can take it off before using clay. If the paint feels real gritty, she may have gotten paint overspray on the car too. Just something to think about.

Now you know a little about living in LA. The weather is worth it to me, but it is expensive to live here.

MonoPed
11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't get discouraged! It's just a lot of work. You can go to your local Autozone, Pep boys, or where ever and get your self some more clay. Typically Mothers or Megs has a kit you can buy that has usually two clay bars.

Also just ensure your kneading the clay every panel or so to ensure you have a clean section to work with.

Its a lot of work but in the end the finish will really shine. If you don't want to put in the time and stuff then maybe you would better off giving it to a professional detailer. However, if your looking for a challenge and some practice I would go ahead and keep going. It's good practice and you learn the techniques.

I was a clay skeptic until I used it some 8 years ago, but since using it, I've never looked back. As for leaving it to the professionals, I rather like the challenge. I've never used a DA or foam pads to polish paint before, but after reading everything here, I am convinced I can do this, no problem. So I put together an order with AG and waited for the brown truck to show up. Still haven't had time to work on my ride, and I still have a few more things to pick up, but I'll have no fear when it comes time to get busy with my new gear. If I can feel confident about doing this, anyone can!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/monoped/webpost/PC-Wolfgang.jpg

yakky
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh hammered cars I like using TW ICE Liquid clay wash. Its $3 at Biglots and it does a pretty good job of getting a lot of the trash off the paint before you use real clay. I recently got the FK decon system and that works even better, but for a single car, not worth it.

Kurt_s
11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I was a clay skeptic until I used it some 8 years ago, but since using it, I've never looked back. As for leaving it to the professionals, I rather like the challenge. I've never used a DA or foam pads to polish paint before, but after reading everything here, I am convinced I can do this, no problem. So I put together an order with AG and waited for the brown truck to show up. Still haven't had time to work on my ride, and I still have a few more things to pick up, but I'll have no fear when it comes time to get busy with my new gear. If I can feel confident about doing this, anyone can!

Nice kit! Don't know if you have used the WG sealant or other higher end sealants, but I love the feel of the paint after clay, correction, polish and allowing the WG sealant to cure for 12-24 hours.

Flash Gordon
11-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Your very talented at laying out a display. You got me wanting this kit, that I don't even need :props: