PDA

View Full Version : Some info on the "New Guy"

Crazy Amos
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I am the new guy here and just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great info. Its nice to finally have somewhere to go and actually talk to people that have the same obsession as I do. There aren't too many people that will want to just talk about all things detailing, at least from my past experiences. Unless they are wanting me to detail their car of which is nice in its own right too but "we" diehards are a rare breed lol!

When I got my first car I washed it every day after shool to the point the paint became so dead it left my bucket water a dark maroon. At that time I had no idea what polish and wax was until my dad taught me to buff one Sunday afternoon. After that I was hooked. At that time I didn't know there was a technique called "Detailing" let alone a profession, but I was performing a very miniscual portion of it with out even knowing it. I had my q-tips, air compressor, degreaser out and was cleaning the engine and putting Armor-All over everything! Applying layer upon layer of wax and turning the paint a perfect shade of a "hazy" maroon lol.

Anyway, to make a long story short, when I turned 18 and was starting college and needed a job. I went to a local used car dealer to ask if he needed someone to "Thoroughly Wash" (as I called my services back then) his cars. He politely said no, he has a detail shop that does that. So, I asked what is a detail shop? When he told me i almost jumped out of my boots and asked if he thought they were hiring. He gave me the address and the owners name and off I went. Needless to say I got the job and on the first day got yelled at so much for the way I was doing things that I almost got fired because I was arguing with the "BOSS". To think all that time-everything i did, my methods, technique, everything was wrong lol! Anyway he ended up taking me under his wing and teaching me the correct way to the "Art of Detailing". The rest is history.

Although after the shop closed I went on to engineering I still detail some of the old clients as well as some newcomers on the weekends. I am hoping to start my own business but just don't have the guts to make the plunge and quit my job (i have a wife and daughter to think about ya know). Word of mouth has served me pretty well over the years but I am getting ready to advertise in hopes it will bring in more clients. I have decided that I love detaling so much that its the profession I want to follow. So hopefully within the next 6 months it will become a reality.

Anyway, my daughter is getting hungry and I am getting tired. Sorry if it seemed sloppy, choppy and there are mispelled words all over but I have to run and don't have time to proof read.

Look forward to learning and sharing knowledge with everyone in the the future!!!

DARK HORSE
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
:welcome: to AGO, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay!

Shane731
11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Enjoyed your story. Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Mike McDonald
11-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Great story! Welcome to Autogeek! It IS the place to be.

I'm in your cycle of college years now, minus the job... I work at petsmart... But I wax my car every week, because my dad taught me too! Such a great start to such an obsession!

Welcome!

Crazy Amos
11-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

BobbyG
11-24-2010, 06:57 AM
My friend, you have come to the right place. Young, old; like me, and everything in between. ..:props:

Autogeek; where detailing is more than a passion it's an obsession!

:welcome: Aboard!

dad07
11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
:welcome: BobbyG your not that old! and your still out there doing things!

Mike Phillips
11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I am the new guy here and just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great info. Its nice to finally have somewhere to go and actually talk to people that have the same obsession as I do.

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Anyway, my daughter is getting hungry and I am getting tired.

The good news is we run a family friendly forum here, so it's a safe environment for everyone.

:dblthumb2: