PDA

View Full Version : New to DA Polishers and Detailing....Need Advice!

E92
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2011 BMW 335i Coupe in black sapphire. Detailing g of my car has always been something I wanted to get into. Now that I have a black car, I have no excuse not to do things right and with care.

I really need advice on what to purchase. I've loaded up a shopping cart with all sorts of products for washing and waxing (Optimum stuff), but I figured while I was at it I might go ahead and grab a Porter Cable 7424XP.

I don't have any serious swirl marks (yet) on the vehicle, so I was wondering what polishers/pads I should invest in to keep the car looking clean. I know I don't need any heavy duty stuff to cut down on swirl marks or to remove oxidation.

Basically, what can I do to keep the car looking polished and clean and to preempt nasty swirls?

Thanks for any advice you can give :props:

Rsurfer
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2011 BMW 335i Coupe in black sapphire. Detailing g of my car has always been something I wanted to get into. Now that I have a black car, I have no excuse not to do things right and with care.

I really need advice on what to purchase. I've loaded up a shopping cart with all sorts of products for washing and waxing (Optimum stuff), but I figured while I was at it I might go ahead and grab a Porter Cable 7424XP.

I don't have any serious swirl marks (yet) on the vehicle, so I was wondering what polishers/pads I should invest in to keep the car looking clean. I know I don't need any heavy duty stuff to cut down on swirl marks or to remove oxidation.

Basically, what can I do to keep the car looking polished and clean and to preempt nasty swirls?

Thanks for any advice you can give :props:
First of all welcome to AG. Get the 5.5" pads with a 5" backing plate. Since your car is new all you will need is a light polish. Optimum spray polish or Wolfgangs Twins should be all that you will need. Remember least aggressive first. Always do a small test area before moving on. You should clay before polishing. Washing is the main culprit for marring (swirls). Use the search button for car washing, there are a ton of threads on how to properly wash your car. Good Luck :buffing:

LuxuryMobile
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Spend alot if time reading on here and you'll find those answers. I really like the flat lake country pads. You might as well get several of orange, white, and a few softer ones to apply wax/sealant.

Another good way to see what you need for your car is to do a search under "show n shine" and see what guys are using on cars simliar to yours.

350z00m
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
i'd pick up some LC HT low Profile pads.... cyan and tangerine pads.... atleast 4 each, and if u r applying lsp with DA get any lsp pads... oh.. 5in backing plate 8) and 5.5 in pads 8)

Jay

Mike Phillips
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

The XP 7424 is a great way to get into machine polishing.

I met a guy at SEMA that just bought his wife a black Challenger RT with very minimal swirls and she's more or less scared to work on the car because she doesn't want to put any more swirls into it and this all comes down to how you "touch" the paint. I'm confident she'll be at my next class.

Small diameter pads like the 5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads are very easy to use and get stellar results from, after you get use to your new polisher and these pads you can start experimenting with other pad combinations if you like.

I'm writing a new article on DA Pads, should have it up tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice you can give

I posted this earlier today to this thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/30526-fresh-black-paint.html) but it fits here too...

Maintaining any finish really comes down to how the paint is touched...

Use the highest quality products you can obtain
Anything that touches the paint has to be gentle to the finish and high quality
Use good technique
I know many people reading the above will think that's all common sense, but I recently had the owner of a 1954 Corvette here at our Studio and after watching him "start" to wipe the Souverän off his Corvette I STOPPED him, and then shared with him "good technique" for wiping wax off highly polished paint.

Video: A Show Car Wax for a Show Car Finish at Show Car Garage (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-video-show-car-wax-show-car-finish-show-car-garage.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/928/1954Vette016.jpg

Then the next day I wrote this article,

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/930/MicrofiberTowel001.jpg

The point being, you need to keep in mind that modern clear coat paints will tend to be harder than traditional single stage paints and the trend that I hear about from friends in the car manufacturing industry, specifically the coatings industries, is that paints will be getting harder, not softer. That's not in concrete for all car manufactures but definitely a trend.

Now here's the skinny....
Even though modern clear coat paints are harder, they still scratch easily, this is called, Scratch-Sensitive.

Most people don't understand how a paint can be hard but still scratch easily but that's the facts and keep in mind, "we", that is Autogeek... we don't make the paints... so direct any frustration you or anyone reading this thread might have at the car manufactures. :D

So just always be careful in how you "touch" your car's finish... use wash mitts, sponges, brushes etc. that are gentle to paint, use a car wash soap that offers excellent lubricating characteristics, make sure your applicator pads and microfiber towels are clean and soft.

In my videos on applying Carnauba Wax and Synthetic Paint Sealants, I share a simple tip about periodically turning your applicator pad over and inspecting for any dirt or abrasive particles that you might pick up accidentally.

If you look... you can see them and pick them off or switch to a new applicator pad.

If you don't look... and you pick up just one tiny abrasive particle, you could be inflicting swirls and scratches into your car's entire paint job.

Simple tip... huge dividends...

:)