PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun or bucket

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rhudeboye
11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
I purchased a cheap foam gun once that was a package deal with wheel brushes and such. it didn't suds up very well so I only used it twice before burying it in my garage somewhere.

I've seen the pics of guys on this forum using the professional tools costing and avg of $80. The application and the amount of foam dispensed looks very impressive. I can see how the real gun cuts down on your time. But is time the only advantage? I assume the same amount of elbow grease is needed once the shampoo is applied.

jpegs13
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I use the foam gun, then rinse to loosen dirt and grime, then I use the 2 bucket method to wash the car.

Porsche Pilot
11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I dont find my foam gun is neccesarily a time saver. It does provide an advantage to providing that one extra layer of lubricity to lessen the chance of inducting swirling. A good foaming shampoo like DP works great. We all spend alot of time de-swirling our rides so anything that will give me an advantage to lessen them is a plus, ie, foam gun.

Rhudeboye
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
We all spend alot of time de-swirling our rides so anything that will give me an advantage to lessen them is a plus, ie, foam gun.

Though I wasn't thinking along those lines, I get that. There's something to be said about a hands off shampoo application. I've also seen people blasting the soap up into the wheel wells. On sports cars these can be very difficult to get to w/o a gun.

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I dont find my foam gun is neccesarily a time saver. It does provide an advantage to providing that one extra layer of lubricity to lessen the chance of inducting swirling. A good foaming shampoo like DP works great. We all spend alot of time de-swirling our rides so anything that will give me an advantage to lessen them is a plus, ie, foam gun.

I agree.

It's actually an added step but it does apply an initial layer of soapy lubricant that can't hurt and possibly aids in the avoidance of adding swirls. The fewer number of times you come in contact with the surface the less change of adding defects.

This is the primary reason I use a dedicated electric leaf blower to dry my vehicles after washing and rinsing.

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Though I wasn't thinking along those lines, I get that. There's something to be said about a hands off shampoo application. I've also seen people blasting the soap up into the wheel wells. On sports cars these can be very difficult to get to w/o a gun.

For blasting soapy suds into those hard to reach areas then I'd recommend a Foam Canon instead of a Foam Gun.

Foam Canon's are attached to a pressure washer and exert high pressure water into the unit making it a much more effective tool for blasting away that dirt and grime...

Rhudeboye
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Didnt know their was a difference. Thanx for clearing that up.

slickooz
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
My friend told me he bought a foam gun from home depot for only 20 bucks and it works real nice.
Green Earth G-Foam Blaster for 4,000 psi Pressure Washers - AGPWF04 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-202184733/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

clm65
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a foam cannon, but my pressure washer exceeds the 2600 psi rating of the foam cannon. I don't want to buy a new pressure washer just for washing the car, so maybe this cheap foam blaster is the ticket. Anyone have any first-hand experience with it?

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
My friend told me he bought a foam gun from home depot for only 20 bucks and it works real nice.
Green Earth G-Foam Blaster for 4,000 psi Pressure Washers - AGPWF04 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-202184733/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

A great gun at a fantastic price!!

Porsche Pilot
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Have you actually used the Green Earth thing Bobby? I have thought about picking one up and was curious how it compared to the regular Gilmore foam guns.

VISITOR
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM

the foam gun IME is worth every penny, and also using a good quality car wash is key as well. just bought my 3rd gallon of DG902 yesterday at carquest...

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Have you actually used the Green Earth thing Bobby? I have thought about picking one up and was curious how it compared to the regular Gilmore foam guns.

I haven't used a Foam Cannon but do own the Foam Gun. It was easy to understand why the Foam Cannon worked so much better but I really didn't want to spend another $125.00 on one.

I happened to come across this at Home Depot, which is unusual for me since I'm a Lowe's fan...:props: :laughing: For the price I couldn't resist temptation!

I haven't used it extensively but I did pour in the soap solution that came with it and hooked it up to my 2700psi pressure washer and it worked really well. I didn't wash anything other than the side of the house and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked!

It does come with a standard quick connect connection so prepare to add one to the end of your hose is you want to connect it.

If you think about what actually goes into making this unit and most of the stuff is made in China, I question why this type of tool is so darn expensive. Like I said, I can't compare it to a Foam Cannon because I don't have one. It either works or it don't........it works..

Porsche Pilot
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the info BG. There is a guy in Canada that wants me to ship him the Home Depot one since you cant get it retail in Quebec since the labeling is not in French. Go figure. I will grab one for me too and give it a test vs the Gilmore. I have a hard time springing for the cannon also. Besides, why give the neighbors another reason to think I am nuts with all my fancy car washin' stuff.

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Besides, why give the neighbors another reason to think I am nuts with all my fancy car washin' stuff.

This will give them just one more reason to stay away from your car!! :laughing: