PDA

View Full Version : Sealants on wheels

molarman
11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
can wg 3.0 be applied to coated wheels? wouldnt this last longer than some type of wax?

spookertunes
11-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I have two complete sets of wheels for my GTI, one for summer, one for winter.
What I do is at the beginning of each season, I take the respective wheels and put sealant on them and hope that it lasts the season.

A couple years ago, I used NXT 2.0 on my winter wheels. Keep in mind we get lots
of snow, salt, etc. here in n.e.ohio The wheels go on in Nov and come off in late March
or early April. I was pretty pleased with the NXT. The next year though, I used FK100P
on the car and the wheels both. Ran them all last winter. Wasn't as pleased with the FK
as I was the year before with the NXT. It seemed I had a lot more cleaning to do on the wheels after a long winter season than I had before.

Regardless, I cleaned the wheels up nicely with some KAIO last week, have put two
coats of BFWD on them and will put them on the car this week.

I'm a big fan of sealants on the wheels.

ScottB
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
I prefer synthetic design (sealants) on wheels due to heat. Wax doesnt seem to last long. I am using Optiseal currently.

oldmodman
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
How do you feel about
DP Wheel Glaze

That is currently on BOGO.Will it last a winter season?

BobbyG
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
How do you feel about
DP Wheel Glaze

That is currently on BOGO.Will it last a winter season?

I really like DP Wheel Glaze. It goes on nicely and has cut my brake dust problem bu let's say; 70%! This combined with now washing with ordinary car wash means it works..

Motionless
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm about to buy some DP Wheel Sealant. Will cleaning the wheels with a wheel cleaner such as DP remove this Sealant? Should I use regular car soap only?

onlycodered
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I've had a lot of success with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. It goes on easy, comes of easy, and definitely adds some nice gloss to your wheels. Seems to last pretty long too. Also makes cleaning off brake dust a breeze!

Kurt_s
11-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm about to buy some DP Wheel Sealant. Will cleaning the wheels with a wheel cleaner such as DP remove this Sealant? Should I use regular car soap only?

yes, some wheel cleaners will remove the wheel sealants. A good wheel sealant will make rim cleaning much easier without a dedicated wheel cleaner.

I use Wheel Guard but I'm sure DP's product is as good. CeeDog praises UTTG and I have high regard for his opinion. Something to consider...

I use car wash and ONR at a clay lube concentration and the wheels come clean. Rubber is a little more difficult but using Opti-Bond, I only apply every 2-3 car washes. OPC does a great job of removing rubber dressings and brake dust on wheels but plan on replacing the wheel sealants a bit more often. I use the wheel guard about 3-6 weeks apart. What's 15-30 minutes every 3-4 weeks for great looking wheels?

Good luck!

Silverstone
11-23-2010, 04:27 AM
can wg 3.0 be applied to coated wheels? wouldnt this last longer than some type of wax?

I use it on mine all the time. I used to use KSG which is also good and long lasting.

I never use a wheel cleaner on my wheels, never needed it. They're painted/CC though. As long as they have some sealant on them car soap takes the dirt right off.

rwright
11-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I always read how people use DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, DG #601/105, Rejex, and now some of the others mentioned in this thread. Why doesn't anyone recommend Collinite Metal Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html) or Wolfgang Metal Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-all-metal-sealant.html)?

reality33
11-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I have used the DP Wheel and its great, a bit of a pain to remove but good. I currently use Zaino Z2-Pro though, and it looks fantastic and seems to hold out better. (Zaino is known for being a very bright sealant, and IMO the best place for bright is the wheels!) Depending on the wheel, I will top it with Swissvax Autobahn.

BobbyG
11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I always read how people use DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, DG #601/105, Rejex, and now some of the others mentioned in this thread. Why doesn't anyone recommend Collinite Metal Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html) or Wolfgang Metal Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-all-metal-sealant.html)?

I wonder if this has to do with most of today's wheels being clear-coated with essentially the same clear that's on the car?

If it were a true metal surface then I would say sure.

rwright
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
I wonder if this has to do with most of today's wheels being clear-coated with essentially the same clear that's on the car?

If it were a true metal surface then I would say sure.

I was just throwing out some other options for fun. ;)

Bobby B.
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
The DP Wheel Glaze and the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant are perfect for pretecting wheels during winter months. The Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, RejeX, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and Opti-Seal are very popular products and are also very durable for protecting the wheels. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices.