PDA

View Full Version : What interior dressings are silicone-based?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kurt_s
11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I was reviewing the AG interior cleaning how-to's and noted that silicone-based interior dressings should be avoided as they may cause longer term problems such as yellowing.

So what interior products on the market are silicone-based including both AG and non-AG available dressings?

Shane731
11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Auto Magic makes a couple of products that fit that bill: No. 61 Xtreme Dress-It (which is the thickest of the three), No. 62 Universal Dressing, and No. 65 Super Dress-It. According to their website, all three are water-based silicone dressings that can be used for both interior and exterior.

Ardex makes a product called Speedy Brightener that is "a solvent based, silicone and polymer mixture" for tires and interiors.

Not sure how a product can be a water-based silicone dressing, as I thought water and silicone didn't mix, but I don't know. I just know that none of these would be going on my interior.

Kurt_s
11-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Auto Magic makes a couple of products that fit that bill: No. 61 Xtreme Dress-It (which is the thickest of the three), No. 62 Universal Dressing, and No. 65 Super Dress-It. According to their website, all three are water-based silicone dressings that can be used for both interior and exterior.

Ardex makes a product called Speedy Brightener that is "a solvent based, silicone and polymer mixture" for tires and interiors.

Not sure how a product can be a water-based silicone dressing, as I thought water and silicone didn't mix, but I don't know. I just know that none of these would be going on my interior.

Hey Shane, Thanks for the followup!

Maybe the title was misworded, so I'm trying to edit the title. The Wolfgang interior detailing "how-to" recommended against using silicone-based dressings.

If we're supposed to avoid silicone based interior dressings, what interior dressings should we avoid? This could be an interesting discussion.

Shane731
11-21-2010, 04:20 PM
If we're supposed to avoid silicone based interior dressings, what interior dressings should we avoid?

Huh? Are you sure that sentence is worded right, because it doesn't make any sense to me. Feed back please

JonMiles
11-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Water based silicone dressings refers in a lot of cases to a silicone based polymer that is water soluble. Polydimethylsiloxane comes to mind. A lot of companies use this polymer as a protectant and through proper emulsion it can be soluble in water with no negative side effects.

trhland
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
i would go with optimum interior dressing. or cockpit by einzett.

Kurt_s
11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Huh? Are you sure that sentence is worded right, because it doesn't make any sense to me. Feed back please

I'll try again. What interior dressings should we avoid per the warning below from the AutoGeek Website?

Warning! Avoid silicone-based protectants. Silicone leaves an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior.

Kurt_s
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
i would go with optimum interior dressing. or cockpit by einzett.

Thanks Tom!

I'm not enamored with OPP as it doesn't apply as evenly as other dressings and finishes a bit flat to me. I haven't tried the Einzett products yet, but I've seen that many senior members like it. I'm thinking about the Ultima interior product too.

Below is the warning that I thought deserving of discussion.

Warning! Avoid silicone-based protectants. Silicone leaves an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior.

I Googled silicone-based interior dressings before starting this thread. 303AP and Pinnacle's vinyl and rubber lotion were two products noted as being silicone-based interior dressings that were water-based but supposedly safe in one older thread.

I was thinking that many vinyl and rubber products might include silicone and wondered which ones should be avoided.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
or cockpit by einzett.
That's not a dressing. ;)

WRAPT C5Z06
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks Tom!

I'm not enamored with OPP as it doesn't apply as evenly as other dressings and finishes a bit flat to me.

I agree about OPP.

While UIGP does apply evenly, it's definitely got a low gloss matte finish to it. Not sure if you would like it...

WestEnd
11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I like Poorboys Natural Look Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing: Natural Look Dressing is a non-toxic, tri-action lotion performing cleaning, protecting and beautifying duties in one (http://www.autogeek.net/pbnl16.html)

Doesn't feel greasy, smells good, wont hurt leather if it oversprays. Water based with UV protection. Can be glossy or matte depending on your buffing.

EDIT: Oops, read your question wrong, you are looking for Silicone to AVOID... got it!! :D

Kurt_s
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I like Poorboys Natural Look Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing: Natural Look Dressing is a non-toxic, tri-action lotion performing cleaning, protecting and beautifying duties in one (http://www.autogeek.net/pbnl16.html)

Doesn't feel greasy, smells good, wont hurt leather if it oversprays. Water based with UV protection. Can be glossy or matte depending on your buffing.

EDIT: Oops, read your question wrong, you are looking for Silicone to AVOID... got it!! :D

No worries. What to try is as important as what not to buy.

If we're supposed to avoid silicone-based interior dressings according to the AG website, which ones should we avoid? One website suggested that the 303P and Pinnacle Vinyl and Rubber dressings were water-based, silicone-based products too.

The warning is somewhat confusing when it may be certain silicone's may be bad.

WestEnd
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
That is confusing. Just reading the MSDS on the 303. It says it IS water soluble. According to Dow Chemical, most silicone polymers are NOT water soluble.

So they may have the silicone that is. So then I question if it is water soluble silicone polymers, does it harm like a typical non soluble silicone?

I always thought just to avoid those that contain petroleum distillates and are flammable.

Great thread, looking forward to the answers.

trhland
11-22-2010, 06:25 AM
That's not a dressing. ;)
it says it has a protectant in it . but optimum is the better way to go for protection. i use cockpit because ilike that factory look . both r good .

Bunky
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
The word "based" like in silicone based is quite misleading. For example, water based leather conditioners can have oils in them and vice versa. Silicone is found in many water based car care products.