PDA

View Full Version : Product help

aaron427
11-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Not sure where to ask this so figure I will start here. I have some older friends who have asked over the years to detail their cars (mine is always nice and clean), but for the most part I have declined. Now I am thinking about taking them up on the offer for some extra cash. These people are typically older, and have newish cars, and rarely have them washed or waxed. I could wash the car and they would be amazed at the work I had done.. ha ha... So I'm browsing through the products and wow I am overwhelmed... Anyone have any good suggestions for what products to use? I know I will be dealing with some oxidation, and swirl marks. I will be using a porter cable. So what have you had success with? I know everyone has their preference, but keep in mind I am not a professional but I have some knowledge. I listed the categories I will need product for. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. This forum is awesome! So much to read, and learn.

Car wash solution-
New car drying towel?? Best to use?
clay bar-
compound-
polish-
wax-
wheel cleaner-
interior stuff-
pads?

BobbyG
11-21-2010, 06:15 AM
I see you're a new member so :welcome: to Autogeek!

Sounds like you've already go some customers lined up! Up mention you have a Porter Cable machine, rotary or DA polisher?

I've given you some suggestions as they're the products I've used with much success. They are by no means the definitive solution for all detailing situations but they will get you off to a great start. I've added a few more area's recommendations as well.

Good luck!

Car wash solution - Duragloss 901, DP Extreme Foam,
New car drying towel?? Best to use? - Cobra Guzzler
Clay bar - Meguiar's
Compound- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83
Polish - Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA
Polish - Menzerna Final Polish PO85RD
Sealant - Menzerna Power Lock
Wax - Collinite 845, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Poorboy's Natty
Wheel cleaner - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, Amazing Roll-Off
Glass Cleaner: Meguiar's Detailers Glass Cleaner D1200
Tires: Pinnacle Black Onyx, DP Gloss Tire Gel
Interior stuff - Meguiar's M40, 1Z Einszett Cockpit
Pads - Lake Country

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

ScottB
11-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Car wash solution- grab Poorboys, Duragloss or Optimum
New car drying towel?? Best to use? Cobra Green Guzzlers
clay bar- whats on sale ??? Come with lube ???
compound- Menzerna (user friendly with great results)
polish- (polishes are lighter compounds) Menzerna here too
wax- Nattys Red or Blue (cheap, beautiful, effective, durable)
wheel cleaner- Griots or DP Wheel Cleaner (cheap, effective, all wheel)
interior stuff- 303 Protectant (matte) or Poorboys Natural Look (fresh)
pads? with PC ?? 5.5 inch Hydro Tech Pads and 5 inch backing plate

paint sealant ?? DP Policoat (currently on BOGO)
Tire Protectant ?? Poorboys Bright/Bold or 303 Protectant
Trim (Plastic) Restorer ?? Poorboys Trim Restorer

Since you are starting out I have chosen very effective yet economical offerings that work easily and well. You can try more as needed and I suggest often visiting the BOGO and SAMPLE sections when ordering. Build your collection over time as you make money on this hobby or profession.

aaron427
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I am confused on something. I have done compound, polish, then wax.. Am I missing a step?

IOMCAMARO
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Depends on if you use a twin compound/polishing system like M105/M205 or if you use a triple compound/polishing/polishing system like Menzerna.

aaron427
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Funny you say that... I was just reading on that very thing! Im not sure which one to go with? I have to place my order by tomorrow to be sure it gets to me by the weekend. Ugh... I can't decide what to go with. Which pads do I go with on the compounds? I use a yellow one most of the time now.

Shane731
11-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Car wash solution - DP Auto Bath (32 oz on BOGO) or Meguiar's Shampoo Plus (gallon)
New car drying towel?? Best to use? - Cobra Guzzler
clay bar - Meguiar's blue clay bar or DP clay (on BOGO - DP clay lube is on BOGO as well)
compound - Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83
Polish - Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA
Finishing Polish - Menzerna Final Polish PO85RD
wax - DP Max Wax (on BOGO)
sealant - DP Poli-Coat (on BOGO)
wheel cleaner - DP wheel cleaner or DP Cleanse-All (both on BOGO)
tire dressing - DP Gloss Tire Gel (on BOGO)
interior stuff - DP Interior Cleaner, DP Interior Protectant, DP Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner (all on BOGO)
glass cleaner - DP Krystal Vision (on BOGO)
pads? - Lake Country 5.5 inch (flat or CCS - I prefer CCS myself) orange (use with PO83), white (use with PO106FA), and black (use with PO85rd)

on the pads, get 2 6-packs (12 pads total), and get 4 of each color (4 orange, 4 white, 4 gray)

slickooz
11-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Dp max max better then M#26? The BOGO is a pretty good offer, just done know how it compares to my gallon #26. Would you use this on a nice car or M26 would have same results?

aaron427
11-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Do you guys know if the dp compunds are any good? I know the other ones are really nice, but they are pricey. I am doing a decent amount of daily driver cars. Obviously if they are will to spend the money I will use the great stuff. I just don't want to have over kill. You know?

Shane731
11-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Do you guys know if the dp compunds are any good? I know the other ones are really nice, but they are pricey. I am doing a decent amount of daily driver cars. Obviously if they are will to spend the money I will use the great stuff. I just don't want to have over kill. You know?

Can you please specify what you mean? The DP line doesn't have any compounds. I think they used to at one time but got discontinued.

Cheapest route: Go to Wal-Mart and get a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Costs less than $10 and IME usually finishes out LSP ready.

aaron427
11-24-2010, 01:53 AM
I said can anyone tell me if they are good.. Lsp? Not familiar with all the abbreviations yet. :)

Shane731
11-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I said can anyone tell me if they are good.. Lsp? Not familiar with all the abbreviations yet. :)

I don't understand why you're asking about a product that isn't there. The DP line doesn't have any swirl removers or compounds or paint cleansers or things of that sort. Both the Pinnacle and Wolfgang lines do, however.

LSP = Last Step Product, meaning the wax or sealant you put on as your final step. When I say that a product finishes LSP ready, that means you can usually go straight from that product to a wax or sealant without having to use a finishing polish to clear up any micro-marring from the previous product used. Make sense? :props:

Dubbin1
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
IME usually finishes out LSP ready.

Maybe and that's a big maybe on a light colors but no way on darker colors. As a matter of fact I have never stopped after using UC on any color.