PDA

View Full Version : How to clean tires/wheels when using ONR?

newb001
11-19-2010, 04:20 PM
What's the best way to clean tires and wheels when using ONR and no hose is available? I usually just spray them down with QD strength ONR, let it sit for a bit, then use a brush and old MF cloths to scrub and dry. Anyone doing anything better?

And is it ok to leave some residual ONR on the tires (as it's hard to wipe it completely dry...)?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
11-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm a strong proponent of giving due credit where credit is due so I'll share something I pretty confident I saw Bill Luster aka Luster, post about their technique.

What I remember reading was after washing the entire car, he then uses the leftover ONR/Water left in the bucket for both washing and rinsing the wheel and tire.

If you mix up a couple of gallons for your car this would probably work better than nothing if you don't have a source of free flowing water.

I'm pretty confident any ONR/Water film left on the tires won't cause any harm, same for wheels but it is a good idea to wipe any leftover residue off the surface of at least the wheel.

:)

pfix
11-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I am using Megs Wheel Detailer spray and a MF towel to remove the brake dust when I ONR wash. Keeps my garage floor dry which will be important now that freezing temps are likely. I keep a coat of sealant on my wheels and clean up is very easy but I also clean them at least twice a week so they are never very dirty.

RaskyR1
11-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I clean them like I normally would using a wheel cleaner and various brushes. I fill up a garden 1 or 2 gal garden sprayer with water or even a water ONR mix to rinse with.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BlQ%2BIfSOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee1dew
11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
What I remember reading was after washing the entire car, he then uses the leftover ONR/Water left in the bucket for both washing and rinsing the wheel and tire.

This is what I do. I'll use a dedicated MF for wheels/tires, soak it in the bucket, wring it out a bit, then clean the wheel. My wheels have a layer of Aquawax on them, and the dirt wipes off easily. I assume it would not be much harder without the Aquawax. I've never bothered to rinse my (painted) wheels and never had a problem with leaving ONR on them.

Mister B
11-19-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm a strong proponent of giving due credit where credit is due so I'll share something I pretty confident I saw Bill Luster aka Luster, post about their technique.

If you mix up a couple of gallons for your car this would probably work better than nothing if you don't have a source of free flowing water.
:)

I did pretty much the same thing earlier today when I was testing out ONR on my truck before the snow starts flying, to see how well it actually works. After I washed my truck with ONR I cleaned the tires as normal with APC and a tire brush, then I rinsed the APC off of the tire with a soft bristled brush and the ONR solution that I had left over in my bucket. I then cleaned the wheels with the ONR and a Megs Wheel face brush and then dried them with a microfiber.

Bunky
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I use an APC as well if needed and then use the leftover ONR to rinse it off.

bmw5541
11-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I use an APC as well if needed and then use the leftover ONR to rinse it off.

This is just what I do. I use the same wheel brushes that I would use as if I were doing a regular wash.

toxygene
11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I clean them like I normally would using a wheel cleaner and various brushes. I fill up a garden 1 or 2 gal garden sprayer with water or even a water ONR mix to rinse with.

I have been using a 2 gallon garden sprayer to wet the tires/wheels for ARO and to rinse as well. It is a good idea actually to use ONR. I will have to try it.

newb001
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Great, thanks everybody! I hadn't thought to use the water/onr from the buckets, great idea!!

AeroCleanse
11-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Found a few videos on Youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJ64kVFlJw]YouTube - Optimum No Rinse and wheels part 2[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUeQLnxrRWo]YouTube - Wheel cleaning with ONR[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfgGsReK40E]YouTube - Wheel cleaning with Optimum No Rinse Wash[/video]

newb001
11-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks!

Kurt_s
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I prespray my rims with lube strength ONR and wash with a wheel specific MF soaked with ONR after washing the rest of the car. For the most part, everything comes off the wheels quickly. My major issue is washing the wheel cleaning MF and drying towels of brake dust. One of these days I will try OOC and Optima waterless washes as options. The new Opti foam mitt looks interesting.

Good luck!

Chris Thomas
11-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Power Clean and brushes, followed by ONR wash like you would the paint is the ticket. Keep it simple.