PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's M09 as a finishing polish?

akimel
11-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Menzerna's PO85RD is widely acknowledged as the best jeweling or finishing polish. I know that many folks, e.g., after finishing down with M205 will then follow up with the PO85RD.

Has anyone used Megs' M09 as a jewling polish? I know it's a mild polish and I was just wondering if it might be worth using it as a final step after M205.

The PO85RD is an expensive polish. I certainly do not need and will never use up a 32 oz. bottle of the stuff. It's a shame it is not offered in smaller sampler sizes.

Fly bye
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Some folks consider a polish as ''non-abrasive''. It depends on who you ask. I personally consider a product with abrassive properties a polish.

Anyhow, M9...

M9 is a very mild abrassive, with, if you will, "polishing oils'', or glaze. I have used M9 in the past, and I have a bottle of it in my cupboard. M9 works great for very shallow swirls. If you're not careful, M9 has the ability to hide very small swirls, meaning that you may not be in fact removing them at all.

BobbyG
11-18-2010, 01:11 PM
M9 is a very mild abrassive, with, if you will, "polishing oils'', or glaze. I have used M9 in the past, and I have a bottle of it in my cupboard. M9 works great for very shallow swirls. If you're not careful, M9 has the ability to hide very small swirls, meaning that you may not be in fact removing them at all.

:iagree:

Meguiar's M09 is a very nice product and and almost mimics #7 Show Car glaze somewhat in it's ability to hide minor defects. Once you're through using it do an Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down to inspect if any minor defects remain or until you're satisfied.

Lasthope05
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I dont know about M09 but another alternative to 85rd that I use a lot of is ultrafina. In fact ultrafina and 85rd are the two main stream jeweling polishes. It is available in 16ozs and if price match from goferauto it's only $15.

Optimum finishing polish is another jeweling polish but it doesnt get much air time. It is also available in smaller sizes (8oz).

Matt S.
11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I dont know about M09 but another alternative to 85rd that I use a lot of is ultrafina. In fact ultrafina and 85rd are the two main stream jeweling polishes. It is available in 16ozs and if price match from goferauto it's only $15.

Optimum finishing polish is another jeweling polish but it doesnt get much air time. It is also available in smaller sizes (8oz).

+1 I find Optimum Finish very similar to Ultrafine. These are the only 3 polishes that finish down perfectly on my S2000's clearcoat. Everything else I've tried leaves hazing - it's that soft.

Niele
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
...Optimum finishing polish is another jeweling polish but it doesnt get much air time. It is also available in smaller sizes (8oz).

Thanks for posting this! Really nice to know that AG has a nice finishing polish in 8oz. bottles for only $9.99:
Optimum Finish Polish 8 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-final-polish.html)

Tesla
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Al, I thought Ultrafina was all the rage as a finishing polish, not 85rd.

Kurt_s
11-18-2010, 04:40 PM

+1 for Opt Finish polish. Opt Finish Polish worked extremely well on a '96 Black Porsche that I detailed this summer, and I only use a couple ounces at a time. Too bad that PO85RD is not available in a smaller size as I would love to have some in my arsenal.

I haven't used M09 for a long time but bought it for use as a paint cleaner and light swirl remover in the late 90's or early 00's. I remember it working fine but went to a different product line through the rest of the 00's.

At $10 for 8oz of Opt Finish, it is certainly worth a try. I am very happy with all the Opt polishes so far.

IID
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Menzerna's PO85RD is widely acknowledged as the best jeweling or finishing polish. I know that many folks, e.g., after finishing down with M205 will then follow up with the PO85RD.

Has anyone used Megs' M09 as a jewling polish? I know it's a mild polish and I was just wondering if it might be worth using it as a final step after M205.

The PO85RD is an expensive polish. I certainly do not need and will never use up a 32 oz. bottle of the stuff. It's a shame it is not offered in smaller sampler sizes.

(It's a shame it is not offered in smaller sampler sizes)
If you want to PM me with your shipping info akimel,I can send you enough PO85RD to do a few applications?

Grizzly
11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Please tell me nobody is actually "jeweling" a daily driver.