PDA

View Full Version : Brinkman flashlight battery replacement?

ZimRandy
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
My Brinkman xenon light hasn't been working right for the last year or so and now it barely works at all. When it was new, it worked great, but it went down hill pretty fast.

The battery will not hold much of a charge and it is pretty much worthless now. Is this a replacable part or not?

The light isn't a lot of money to replace, but I don't like to throw something away if it can be serviced or the battery pack replaced economically.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Randy

oldmodman
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you know what type of battery is in it?
If it's a Ni-Cad they can be found very cheap these days. You will not get the "special shape" that is part of your light's design, but you can use whatever will fit in there as long as it is the correct voltage. You can even get hobby shop stick packs and configure them to put out whatever voltage you need.
If it is a lead acid gel cell you choices are much smaller.
I have three of those "50 Million Candlepower" lights that Costco was selling a few years ago.
People had thrown them away when the batteries went dead. So I got them for free.
They are great until the battery goes dead. But I found some "take out" alarm system batteries at a local computer swap meet for $5.00 each and they last longer the factory supplied batteries. I even converted one light to HID. It's way more than 50 million now!

TLMitchell
11-16-2010, 02:08 PM
My Brinkman xenon light hasn't been working right for the last year or so and now it barely works at all. When it was new, it worked great, but it went down hill pretty fast.

The battery will not hold much of a charge and it is pretty much worthless now. Is this a replacable part or not?

According to Brinkmann's product & support page it's a lead-acid battery. They list replacement bulbs as well as outline the replacement procedure in the online manual but no mention of replacing batteries.

There's an e-mail contact link, why don't you ping 'em and see what they say? My guess is at the very least they may have factory replacement procedure.

MaxFire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Spotlight (800-2200-0) | Brinkmann (http://www.brinkmann.net/products/details.aspx?item=800-2200-0)

TL

VISITOR
11-16-2010, 02:42 PM
at least you got some usage out of it, i cracked open a spare brand new one out of the package and went to go charge it and nothing... :nomore:

yakky
11-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Mine is dying as well.

Lasthope05
11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Either Dom or PJ(Dodo Juice) replaced their brinkman battery with one from an RC car.

Read about it hear.
Brinkmann Battery Transplant - pics inside - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=93376)

aznwhip
11-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Either Dom or PJ(Dodo Juice) replaced their brinkman battery with one from an RC car.

Read about it hear.
Brinkmann Battery Transplant - pics inside - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=93376)

Good info. Even though the unit is relatively cheap, I'm in the same boat and don't want to throw away a perfectly fine unit that just needs new batteries

VISITOR
11-16-2010, 10:00 PM
i called a local hobby store and asked about the battery pack mentioned in the above link and they said it cost around $20. oh well, i may just salvage the light bulbs (not sure if i should keep the chargers as they might be compatible/useful for something else later down the line) and throw away the light...

Fly bye
11-16-2010, 11:33 PM
:nomore:

:iagree:

ZimRandy
11-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Looks like I might try the replacement battery trick. I guess it can't get any worse seeing as it doesn't even work right now.

Thanks for the info and the links.

Randy