PDA

View Full Version : Still not satisfied

molarman
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
after using pc with orange ccs 5.5 inch pads (wg 3.0 swirl remover), white pads (wg fin glaze), then applying wg sealant, still noticed light swirls. the pc bogged down fairly easily when applying recommended pressure with these pads. so am wondering: 1. use flat pads or ht pads? (2) use another type of swirl remover? (3) order the flex orbital? by the way, my car is 2009 lexus is 250. anyone know if the clear coat is considered "hard" ?

zliegen
11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe you got a bum PC? Perhaps the motor isn't working as hard as it should be, I've never heard anyone say the PC bogged down easily, not the XP version at least. Try to get a new one, I believe there is a warranty period. I have a griots garage 6" not a PCXP, but when I'm on speed 5 or 6 on a flat surface I have to press down harder than I'm comfortable pressing to prevent the pad from spinning.If I'm on an edge or curved panel then it only takes light to moderate pressure to stop the spinning. Regardless, it's more than able to take out the swirls that I've seen.

BobbyG
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
after using pc with orange ccs 5.5 inch pads (wg 3.0 swirl remover), white pads (wg fin glaze), then applying wg sealant, still noticed light swirls. the pc bogged down fairly easily when applying recommended pressure with these pads. so am wondering: 1. use flat pads or ht pads? (2) use another type of swirl remover? (3) order the flex orbital? by the way, my car is 2009 lexus is 250. anyone know if the clear coat is considered "hard" ?

In my opinion, Wolfgang Swirl Remover is adequate for medium to light swirls. Lexus clears are generally hard and require a more aggressive approach.

For heavier swirls I'd try using Meguiar's M105 or Menzerna Power Gloss compounds.

My Porter Cable 7424 really likes the Lake Country 5 1/2 inch flat pads. It should be able to do the job but work in small sections with multiple passes. Make sure your speed setting is between 5 and 6.

I have a Flex 3401, and combine this DA polisher, a Lake Country Kompressor pad, and one of the two compounds I've recommended above and you'll power through those swirls very quickly.

Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss, Meguiar's M105

Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's M205

Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD

Don't prematurely count the PC polisher out, just change your attack approach.

DARK HORSE
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM

I would suggest that you don't automatically go and buy a new machine without trying a different approach first. If you are not achieving the desired amount of correction w/ TSR and ccs pads, you may want to consider a test spot with m105/cyan HT pad first. PM sent...

jpegs13
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
In my opinion, Wolfgang Swirl Remover is adequate for medium to light swirls. Lexus clears are generally hard and require a more aggressive approach.

For heavier swirls I'd try using Meguiar's M105 or Menzerna Power Gloss compounds.

My Porter Cable 7424 really likes the Lake Country 5 1/2 inch flat pads. It should be able to do the job but work in small sections with multiple passes. Make sure your speed setting is between 5 and 6.

I have a Flex 3401, and combine this DA polisher, a Lake Country Kompressor pad, and one of the two compounds I've recommended above and you'll power through those swirls very quickly.

Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss, Meguiar's M105

Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's M205

Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD

Don't prematurely count the PC polisher out, just change your attack approach.

:iagree: Those products work for me on Jaguar, Escalade and Lamborghini

loudog2
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
There are a lot of variables that can be causing issues here. How fast are your passes? How many passes? Using too much pressure not allowing the PC to work correctly? Did you try a new pad(maybe debri is in the pad)? Try a finishing pad instead of the white pad?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree, change your attack method. Also next time, after you compound...check your work and MAKE SURE you have all the swirls out before you move on to the rest of the car...that way you will have a good idea of how aggressive you need to be or if the current pad/pressure/product combo is even working for you.

If it IS, then keep goin...but nothing sucks more than getting over the WHOLE CAR just to find out (as you did :( ) that its not how you wanted it.

PC can do some really good things. I too once thought maybe it wasnt strong enough, but i saw a few posts on here of what it was capable of, and did just what im advising you to do...change your attack method. Also be sure to clean your pad often especially when compounding, since removed paint will build up.

Flat pads are awesome and ive heard really good things about the Hydro's..I ordered a 3 pack but just havent had a chance to use em yet.

Give it another go, but if you do you'll probably have to strip off all the wax you put on already :doh:...just a heads up!

good luck!

05xrunner
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I have the old 7424..I bought it 2years ago..it sucked cause like month later the XP came out. I really got annoyed with how easy the PC bogged down and stopped spinning with just a little bit of pressure with my 5.5"ccs pads. I finally got a FLEX 3401 few weeks ago and its sooo much nicer. Doesnt make your hand go numb on speed6 like the PC use to

Dr Oldz
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
I have been using a Snap On/Blue Point Rotary for years and Just recently ordered a PC because my other DA died! I find the PC to be a very capable machine. I have some done correction with the PC on 6.5 inch pads that I would have never tried on anything but my rotary before! That being said, give another product, pad and technique combo a try and I'm sure you will eventually find something that works well for you! Sometimes what you try first doesn't always work that's the beauty and point of a test spot!

This may help you also: Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

dougaross
11-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Don't be afraid to run at speed 6.

rwright
11-16-2010, 05:10 PM
PC XP - Prime Pads
Speed 6/Cyan 5.5" HT low profile pad/Meg's M105 - have a spray bottle handy filled w/ water
Speed 6/Tangerine 5.5" HT low profile pad/Meg's M205
Speed 6/Gray/Black 5.5" flat pad or ccs/Menz PO85RD

somguy2u
11-16-2010, 10:10 PM
i have an IS, perhaps it's because it's older but the clear is crazy soft. it was pretty swirrled and i got most of the swirl out with 3m 39009.

The doors were a bit worse and i went for WG TSR on a course green pad and followed it with wolfgang finihsing polish on a soft green and everything came out without issue. I haven't had much luck with the TSR on a white pad. i would try a Course green pad with it.

If that doesn't work the 3m stuff is pretty potent, and all the other products the guys have mentioned. i can't imagine a 1.5 year old car is THAT swirled though.

the 3m39009 i used speed 6 on my GGDA and TSR i used 5.5