PDA

View Full Version : feels like sandpaper.....

Pages : [1] 2

canuckian
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi all....was washing the wife's Tahoe on the weekend - foam cannon/rinse and hand wash. The roof and top part of the body were all great and smooth but when I started below the trim strip, the wash mitt felt like it had resistance. I added more soap to the mit and still the same thing. I then ran my hand over the paint and to my surprise, the finish actually felt like sandpaper! I know it wasn't like that the last time I washed it (few weeks ago - I know, I know....shame on me!) but she must've driven over/through something nasty to get that kind of gunk on it! I know they're doing road work and paving near our house but I drive over the same roads in my GTI and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. I took a microfiber cloth with some soapy water and rubbed pretty hard on one spot and it started to get a little smoother so I'm guessing it's mostly road tar.
What would be the best approach in getting this crap off? is it something that i have to spend hours hand rubbing it off or is there a product i could use with my Flex 3401? this may seem elementary to a lot of you guys but I'm a bit of a newb to detailing and this is the first time I've ever seen buildup like this.

any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DantheMan
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
claybar

AeroCleanse
11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
+1 Claybar

Make it shine!
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Yup claybar will be the way!

jonn127
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Kinda sounds like he would have to go through a few claybars by the way its described. Have any pictures.

Rsurfer
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Use kerosene first to get the bulk off and then clay.

IOMCAMARO
11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Kerosene doesn't strip paint? and +1 for claybar.

DantheMan
11-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Kinda sounds like he would have to go through a few claybars by the way its described. Have any pictures.

Sounded to me like it isnt something seen by the eye, but I could be reading wrong??

jonn127
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say below the trim line, you are talking about basically the middle of the doors down right? if its that bad it sounds like you'll need more than just a clay bar, you'd need claybar(s). There has to be something better to loosen that junk up and not shred through claybars. Yes, you use the claybar to take out surface contamination, but what feels like sandpaper on basically 1/3rd of a SUV?

jonn127
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't have any experience in removing tar, but I was working on old exhaust pipes the other day and nothing was working, Optimum Power Clean then just cut through the stuff like it was nobody's business.
So maybe some Power Clean and the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar pad?

canuckian
11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I was thinking claybar as well but was also thinking that it may be a little too much for a claybar (or 4 or 5!) to handle so I didn't mention it. I'll have to go out tomorrow and give it a whirl.
Dantheman, it's not something that can be seen 2 feet away but if you get up close, you can definitely see the bumps. It's pretty nasty! I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow and post them.

kerosene? I would think that would be dangerous on paint? but, as stated, I'm a little new to this so it may be a perfectly viable solution.

canuckian
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say below the trim line, you are talking about basically the middle of the doors down right? if its that bad it sounds like you'll need more than just a clay bar, you'd need claybar(s). There has to be something better to loosen that junk up and not shred through claybars. Yes, you use the claybar to take out surface contamination, but what feels like sandpaper on basically 1/3rd of a SUV?

yep, you read correctly....about 1/3 of a full sized SUV....and to make matters worse, it's black!

DantheMan
11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Okay... for some reason I was picturing a white tahoe, and was thinking it was actually something else. Sounds like its probably too much work for a claybar.

Kerosene is probably your best bet. Or diesel, mineral spirits etc. Use a spray bottle, or a soaked MF and keep it soaking. It will begin to soften making it much easier to remove.. To be honest, it is more effective, and probably safer than alot of bug & tar removers out there.

Rsurfer
11-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Kerosene doesn't strip paint? and +1 for claybar.
If it did I wouldn't recommend it.

killrflake
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Being that claybars come in different grades I would try that first before moving on to stronger methods.