PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs swirl help.......please!!

YankeeFan
12-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I used a clay bar for the 1st time yesteday, that resulted in many swirl marks on the front bumper. I lubricated the area very well but I guess I either pressed too hard, didn't knead it enough or the clay needs to be more pliable as it's getting quite cold here in the Northeast and so was the clay.

Whatever the case may be I gotta fix this soon as I am having a clear coat bra put on this Friday. I have a dark blue car and was wondering:
a. What is the best product to use
b. What is the best manual method to use to remove these swirls without creating more

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Howard

sparkie
12-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Welcome to AG. You really need a PC to take care of that.

ScottB
12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
claying need not be a swirl enducing deal, careful use should only provide very light surfaces scratches at a minimum. But since we have swirls, we must now look to :

conceal/hide : we can temporarily hide them with a glaze and then wax. They will come back after several washings.

polish/remove/abrade : this is where we use some polish, some pads, and likely a machine to truly remove them. Patience is needed, and areas will need several passes. Look at several kits offered like Poorboys and XMT as user friendly.

ryandamartini
12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
If your getting a clear bra put on, make sure the front surface is mint. Find a respectable detailer locally or see if there are any members here that can help you correct the front before etching swirls in stone on the front of your car :shudder:

supercharged
12-04-2006, 06:11 AM
claying need not be a swirl enducing deal, careful use should only provide very light surfaces scratches at a minimum. But since we have swirls, we must now look to :

conceal/hide : we can temporarily hide them with a glaze and then wax. They will come back after several washings.

polish/remove/abrade : this is where we use some polish, some pads, and likely a machine to truly remove them. Patience is needed, and areas will need several passes. Look at several kits offered like Poorboys and XMT as user friendly.
Very well said, Scott. Yep, :iagree: