PDA

View Full Version : These Videos Keep Pro Detailers in Business

jpegs13
11-15-2010, 05:20 AM
I love the beach towel at the end: Why do I have swirls?
AOL Autos: DIY Garage - Car Cleaning 101 - AOL Video (http://video.aol.com/video/aol-autos-diy-garage-car-cleaning-101/446092886?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl4|sec3_lnk2|183925)

Mike Phillips
11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Interesting recommendation to use a beach towel to dry your car. For some people this is perfectly okay because they're just working on a daily driver and don't really care about swirls, chances are good they don't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html).

I'm a big fan of Beach Towels for detailing cars however but not to dry the car but to cover places you want to protect from splatter. A beach towel is typically long in length and this means it's long enough to completely cover the windshield, wiper arms, and any grill or plastic at the base of the windshield to prevent splatter from landing on any of these areas and then having to "detail" these areas later.

Beach Towel, a tool in my arsenal of of detailing supplies.

:)

Grizzly
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
They can be used to clean interiors.

Also,

You can make good money detailing without a paint correction service.

Dr Oldz
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
He prolly used half of the pot of wax......most was between hood and fender! LOL!!

JonMiles
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Who on earth would let that guy touch their viper? From drying with a beach towel, to leaning his denim covered ass on the fender everything he did was risky to the paint. Someone needs to track him down and teach him about grit guards, proper wash mitts, waffle weave towels, and the new trend "thin is in" for applying lsp. O yea, and pull the wash tags off the mf.

rwright
11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
He prolly used half of the pot of wax......most was between hood and fender! LOL!!

I co-worker never waxed his truck (regular cab Ford Ranger) in the few years he has owned it. One weekend he decided he was going to and used a whole can, yes you read that right - a WHOLE CAN, of Turtle Wax Cleaner Wax on his truck. Not one panel at a time, the entire thing! It dried a few hours on the truck. He said it was like concrete when he tried to remove it.
"It's normal to have wax build up in the cracks". :nomore:

C. Charles Hahn
11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I love how he goes through all that work and then proceeds to sit on the fender with his denim jeans that also probably have rivets scraping on the paint.

Notice though they call this "Car Cleaning 101" -- some people just don't know any better.

Jeff120
11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
LOL, you use micro fiber so you dont get link, what about the scratches!

UMMMM.....oh no he didnt just put Turtle wax on a Viper!!!

mcpp66
11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
UMMMM.....oh no he didnt just put Turtle wax on a Viper!!!

Is Turtle Wax junk?

Jeff120
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Is Turtle Wax junk?

Dont know havent used it for a long time. But I know I wouldnt be putting that on a Viper!

Nick R.
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Who on earth would let that guy touch their viper? From drying with a beach towel, to leaning his denim covered ass on the fender everything he did was risky to the paint. Someone needs to track him down and teach him about grit guards, proper wash mitts, waffle weave towels, and the new trend "thin is in" for applying lsp. O yea, and pull the wash tags off the mf.

That actually made me LOL. :urtheman:

I've been an "Autogeek" for about 6 months now and the amount of stuff I've learned from you guys and from those at Autogeek is mind boggling. I always used to wash my car with whatever was cheapest at Walmart and dry it with a chamois that has been in my dad's garage for about 15 years (no joke). When I was 15 years old my dad showed me how to "properly" wash and wax his cars, as a matter of fact he paid me $8 per vehicle every time I waxed it. I used Turtle Wax, never clayed it, polished, etc. I didn't even know what a clay bar was, and I sure as hell know he didn't (But he does now!). I always looked up to him through all those years about waxing my car and what not, until I got on the Autogeek bandwagon last Spring. Boy have things changed! I went to his house about 6 weeks ago to hang out and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw how he washed his BLACK Infiniti while I was there. The car was absolutely FILTHY and he dunked his sponge in the wash bucket and went over the ENTIRE one side of the car, from the roof to the hood, front bumper, trunk, wheels, etc without rinsing. And all of this took place in about a minute, he was quick! I thought about giving him a few pointers, but knowing my dad he would ignore me because after all he has been washing his own vehicles for 30 years now and he MUST know more than his 22 year old son. :props:

Granted, I'm no expert, and I've only gotten a little taste of what a science there truly is to properly detailing a vehicle, sometimes you just have to sit back and keep your mouth shut to keep dad happy. But not only that, if he thinks he is washing his car the right way and can stand back when he's finished and think; "Wow, my car looks GREAT!", then so be it.

It's similar to what I used to run in to when I was installing car stereos and building speaker boxes, the latter especially. People would much rather just go to Walmart and buy a pre-fabricated universal box that would fit any speaker that was X size and be done with it. If they did happen to come to me before doing so, they would look at me like I was crazy when I would tell them how much it was going to cost to build a proper enclosure to the specifications of their particular subwoofer. And don't even get me started about the rest of their "system". :nomore:

Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

jimmyjam
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting recommendation to use a beach towel to dry your car. For some people this is perfectly okay because they're just working on a daily driver and don't really care about swirls, chances are good they don't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html).

I'm a big fan of Beach Towels for detailing cars however but not to dry the car but to cover places you want to protect from splatter. A beach towel is typically long in length and this means it's long enough to completely cover the windshield, wiper arms, and any grill or plastic at the base of the windshield to prevent splatter from landing on any of these areas and then having to "detail" these areas later.

Beach Towel, a tool in my arsenal of of detailing supplies.

:)
Hi Mr. Phillips, I was wondering where I could find a micro-fiber towel the size a beach towel? I read one your articles, and you mentioned as a tip to cover the roof "post" polish, and allow the customer or potential customer to see your work as as you unviel it.

isaac
11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Soo ya think ya kno haw to wash your car

Fly bye
11-16-2010, 12:17 AM
"It's normal to have wax build up in the cracks". :nomore:

I exercise caution when applying wax, so I do not get any product where it does not belong. This saves time by not having to stop and remove wax from tight places.

Years ago, I used to notice cars that had been waxed, that had yellow wax stains in, and all around the cracks throughout. This is why I have developed my own technique of not letting wax get into an area which would be time consuming to remove.