PDA

View Full Version : Good, quick first car?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Christopher
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Right... So I have 6k saved up from detailing:) to buy a first car. My parents will price match me up to 5k, so that puts my budget at 11k.
When I say quick, I don't mean like spin the tires in any gear quick, I just need something that will get me up to speed in a reasonable amount of time due to the areas that I drive(very short on ramps that tax my father's mustang at times.)

Criteria:
1. Gotta be a car, not a huge SUV or anything
2. Needs to drive nice on country highways and mountain passes while going 75 - 85 (speed limit @ 75, don't freak)
3. Needs to be manual, and needs to be, in order from least to most preferred: rwd / 4wd / awd. I can't stand front wheel drive.
4. Turbo would be nice, but not a deal breaker
5. Fuel injected, not carbed.
6. Seats 4, 5 would be better
7. Decent amount of trunk space
8. Has a decent level of reliability
9. The heavier the better (sounds odd, but I get lots of rain, so it helps with hydroplaning)
10. Doesn't need tune ups every weekend, but this is negotiable as I am a tinkerer.
11. Something that won't jack up insurance. I can take a bit of a hit, but nothing like a 1993 supra twin turbo for example.
12. Low rpm torque is nice

A few obvious, but preferred things...
Repair cost
Part availability

And most important:
Crash safety if provided
Rollover resistance if applicable
Skidpad / WET Braking distance (not snow, just in moderate to heavy rain)

Some things that really don't matter too much to me:

Abs doesn't matter either way - I have driven almost exclusively, my mom's big 'ol jeep that doesn't have it. I have braking w/o it down, so it's a non issue

Sporty look - It needs to walk the walk, not talk the talk

Sorry for the long list... but hey, at least I know what I'm looking for :D

aerogt01
11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
A 97-03 Grand Prix GTP fits all of the above except #3. A good set of tires on mine makes my Jeep seem skittish.

I had a friend who hydroplaned and managed to get hit head-on by TWO semis one after the other, from opposite directions on a two-lane highway. She was driving a Grand Prix and walked away. Personally I consider it one of the safest vehicles on the road.

dougaross
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Subaru Legacy if it fits your image and price

fairlady350z
11-15-2010, 01:54 AM
i would say any subaru, then put a turbo kit on if it's not already equipped. This way, insurance doesn't know its turbo and your rate stays down, if you're that set on having a turbo. Keep in mind if you go this route you have to have work done to handle the extra pressure/power (if you want it done correctly at least). Sometimes you can find a wrx or impreza 2.5i that was owned by a middle aged person that probably wasn't beat on. Make sure that you never buy a car that has been modded (intake, exhaust, turbo, ect.). It usually means that it has been abused. I won't consider a car that is just tinted. Just my .02.

FRC Z51
11-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Subaru would probably be a good choice, as previously mentioned. I would look at a 2.5RS or a higher mileage WRX if you want turbo. GTP=front wheel drive and automatic so that's def a no-go based on his wants/needs.

jpegs13
11-15-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm in agreement with the Subaru

dublifecrisis
11-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Audi A4 Quattro (B5/B6)

zliegen
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Thats kind of a lot of stuff to ask for out of an 11k car. If you want a newer car (2000s) with all that stuff you really are almost limited to either a subaru or mustang, because they arent FWD. Or something older and european like a 1993 mercedes 190e or 1998 Bmw 328i both of which are RWD and can have a 5 speed. If i was in your situation I would be looking mostly into late 90s BMWs, spend 8 or 9k on a nice one and save some money for possible repairs and maintenence.

CEE DOG
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
...... spend 8 or 9k on a nice one and save some money for possible repairs and maintenence.

Good advice. If you really want to be wise throw away that list and spend $4000 on a car that will last for a very long time and will do the job. Save the money rest of the money including that which your parents match you. You can get started with both feet on the ground.

IOMCAMARO
11-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd say go with a Nissan 300zx. Some of them are turboed, and they can be manuals.

MrHandWash
11-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah, you could get a Mid 2000's Legacy or N/A Impreza and Turbo it. Audi is also a good choice - but ridiculously expensive in part repairs compared to Subaru.

A Nissan series would be nice, as well as a newer Infiniti if you're wanting RWD. I don't really concure about a mustang however. They may be heavy, but that single sway rear axle will be incredibly easy to spin out in the rain or snow. I've known 4 different people that were just daily drivers with nice GT's. They all spun out on the highway in winter =/

It's up to you, but if it's a winter car I'd just go with AWD.

Emm
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
2004-2006 gto Not much trunk space though

yakky
11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Audi A4 Quattro (B5/B6)

B5 isn't going to seat 4 or 5 very well, B6 is a bit bigger in that respect, but yeah, seems to fit the OP's criteria very well. Another benefit for those on this forum, Audis have some of the best paint in the industry.

Y2KSVT
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Go do a few more details to come up with another $600 and pick up this Mazdaspeed 6. I think it fits all of your criteria with being AWD, 6 speed manual transmission, turbo, sporty, quick. And it's not 10+ years old so you shouldn't have to do a lot of tinkering.

Cars for Sale: 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 in Brooklyn, NY 11214: Sedan Details - 288870477 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=288870477&dealer_id=100016658&car_year=2006&rdm=1289828739713&model=MAZDASPD6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=MAZDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&sort_type=priceDESC&address=46804&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=15000&cardist=588&standard=false&rdpage=thumb)

Mark

zliegen
11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
^^^This is a good idea!^^^
B5 isn't going to seat 4 or 5 very well, B6 is a bit bigger in that respect, but yeah, seems to fit the OP's criteria very well. Another benefit for those on this forum, Audis have some of the best paint in the industry.

Except for the cost of parts and the fact that you cant even use a normal scan tool for diagnosis you have to take it to the dealer to do a lot of common stuff. Audis are really expensive for maitenence and repairs, moreso than bmw and mercedes even from what Ive seen.