PDA

View Full Version : Would you polish a new car?

cullen2505
12-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a question about a step in the process for a new car:

wash, clay, POLISH, protect (sealant-UPP), topper (carnuba-Liquid Soveran)

My question is what product should is use for the "polish" stage? I am trying to properly prepare the surface before I seal with UPP and top with Liquid Soveran. I have a light silver metallic '06 Acura with 8k miles and a light silver metallic Honda with 2k miles. Neither vehicle has ever been waxed but has been washed every 7-10 days. Both are daily drivers but garaged. A few scratches in the Acura and none that I notice in the Honda and no swirls in either.

Should "polish" for a new car mean a paint cleaner like Klasse AIO or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, or should I use something more abrasive like Optimum polish in order to properly prepare the surface? I do not have a PC yet and will be applying all th products by hand.

Thanks for the help.

Whitethunder46
12-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, I've never worked on a new car. But I'll say this, if it needs polishing, then polsih... if only certain area's need polishing, then spot polish. If the car looks great with no swirls, hazing, etc. etc., then just use a nice paintwork cleaner before sealing and a topper.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

wytstang
12-03-2006, 12:49 PM
If there are a few scratches you may be able to remove them using Megs ScratchX by hand. If you are sure there are no scratches then just skip that step, just be care full you are not using a claybar thats to agressive as it will mar the paint.

sparkie
12-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I have.

MikeyC
12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I would definitely polish a new car (and have done so in the past). I've never seen a car roll off a dealer lot with its paint as shiny as possible. Of course, depending on the dealer paint condition can vary. So, deciding on what level of polishing to do depends on what shape the paint is in.

ryandamartini
12-03-2006, 06:48 PM
paint is abked on for mass production. its cured. polish away padawon.

ScottB
12-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I would always polish, even a new car. If no swirls then look to a final polish and final polishing pad. Consider amping the surface (or jeweling) to the next level.

supercharged
12-04-2006, 06:16 AM
I would always polish, even a new car. If no swirls then look to a final polish and final polishing pad. Consider amping the surface (or jeweling) to the next level.
:iagree: , take a look at Poorboy's SSR series, or Pinnacle XMT. A MUST for any enthusiast.