PDA

View Full Version : How to clean sponges after a wash

Pages : [1] 2

newb001
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
How does everyone clean their sponges after a wash? I've read assorted threads about soaking in clean wash bucket, using power washer, soaking in dawn, soaking in APC... Just wanted to get any further thoughts in one updated post.

I have both Lowe's grout sponges and some Zymol sponges (if that makes a difference).

Thanks!!

ScottB
11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
perhaps its time to mix up a little DP Pad Rejuvinator ??? It helps to clean pads, towels and more.

ColorsDetailing
11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
the washer???

newb001
11-14-2010, 10:47 AM
the washer???

So I can put a sponge in the washing machine? I figured that would destroy it? Though I guess on cold or warm water it would be ok? And no drier?

newb001
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
perhaps its time to mix up a little DP Pad Rejuvinator ??? It helps to clean pads, towels and more.

I will check into it. Does it really live up to it's description?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I will check into it. Does it really live up to it's description?
Yes, it's good stuff.

isaac
11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
i rinse mine out real good then throw it in the washer with my microfiber then tumble dry-low. i have a microfiber sponge from autozone...

VISITOR
11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
no need to put the sponges/grout sponges in the washer. after i'm done, i run it under the hose and massage all the dirt/debris/soap out (it releases easily) and then squeeze/swing all the water before laying it on the grit guard to dry. easy as that...

weavers
11-14-2010, 03:45 PM
For the grout sponges I've found that soaking them in dawn dish soap does nothing. What I've found best is a stiff bristle brush, dawn dish soap and some water in the bathroom sink. The key seems to be suds. The suds will penetrate deep into the sponge and carry out all the dirt when its wringed out. It takes 5-10mins or maybe even 20mins if its from a really dirty car or wheels.

I'm looking for a better way to clean up everything.

Black Car
11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
no need to put the sponges/grout sponges in the washer. after i'm done, i run it under the hose and massage all the dirt/debris/soap out (it releases easily) and then squeeze/swing all the water before laying it on the grit guard to dry. easy as that...
:iagree:

BobbyG
11-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Typically products like Dawn and just about any other all purpose cleaner will work just fine.

I generally spray them with an all purpose cleaner or degreaser, work it in, then stick them in a bucket of hot water and dawn. Kneed them occasionally to ensure that the solution penetrates deep enough to dissolve the contaminants. Rinse thoroughly and let dry. :props:

Y2KSVT
11-19-2010, 08:45 AM

:iagree:

That makes three of us. There's already plenty of soap inside of the sponge (think about it, you're using it to wash your car). Why use a different soap to wash out the soap that is already in the sponge? Just wrinse the sponge out as much as you can, wring it out and then set it on the grit guard inside of your wash bucket. I'm surely not running an entire wash cycle for one sponge; that is overkill.

Mark

dougaross
11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
That makes three of us. There's already plenty of soap inside of the sponge (think about it, you're using it to wash your car). Why use a different soap to wash out the soap that is already in the sponge? Just wrinse the sponge out as much as you can, wring it out and then set it on the grit guard inside of your wash bucket. I'm surely not running an entire wash cycle for one sponge; that is overkill.

Mark

The soap inside the sponge is designed not to remove LSPs. I think you would want something a little stronger to emulsify the the crud that has been removed during the wash

Metajames
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Generally the sponge is not that dirty with regular shampoo, a simple massaging under running water gets it clean. If it's still dirty try a few shots of APC.

If I washed with ONR then the dirt gets retained in the sponge. A few shots of Zep Citrus Degreaser or a APC then will work the dirt out. After that just rinse under running water. Grit guards are handy fro drying sponges.

I do not put sponges in the wash or dryer with my microfibers since they can shed bits of foam all over them.

1flyfisher
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
LOL Just rinse them off in the sink. No need to get neurotic about getting a sponge or towel clean.