PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify this paint issue?

Mike McDonald
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT, red paint. I'm the 3rd owner, college student so I need a cheap way to 'hide' this. The entire hood has road rash, but I'm not worried about that. There are these white lines, the size of a grain of rice, all over the car. Any way to fix this in an affordable, nonexistent college student budget?

I attached a picture, probably can't see it well because I took it with my blackberry... But that's all I have.

I also want to announce 'Big Red' passed 163,000 miles today!!

Thanks for any help.

wytstang
11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Really can't see what it is but if this is a factory paint defect I believe factory paint carries a 10 yr factory warranty. Might want to call your local Ford dealer and see what the warranty is on the paint. If it is 10 yrs you have a month and some change left.

CEE DOG
11-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Take the picture in macro mode if you want it to come out in focus. I can't tell whats going on there.

loudog2
11-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Can't really tell, but it kind a looks like the start of clear coat failure. A better picture would help!

Joe@Superior Shine
11-14-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm familiar with the condition your asking about. It is common on Fords of that era. They are small cracks in the paint. They are white because they are filled with polish or wax. The only way to fix it is to strip the hood and refinish it.

Mike McDonald
11-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm familiar with the condition your asking about. It is common on Fords of that era. They are small cracks in the paint. They are white because they are filled with polish or wax. The only way to fix it is to strip the hood and refinish it.

Alright. That answers it for me. Not worth stripping since I'm only keeping the car until June... My OCD will just have to put up with it.

Thanks everyone