PDA

View Full Version : Will glaze affect sealant bonding

LegacyGT
11-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Currently I am pretty careful to do a really good IPA wipe down before applying WGDGPS in the thought that it will have the best chance of bonding with the paint; if I were to use glaze before putting down the sealant, would this negatively affect the durability of the sealant and subsequent layers?

Products I would be talking about are wolfgang finishing glaze, or PB Black Hole, topped with WGDGPS, then Fuzion and/or Souveran.

Feed back please Depending on the thoughts, I may have to do a 50/50 test.

05xrunner
11-13-2010, 11:25 AM
you want to put down the Sealant first so it can properly bond with the paint..then put the glaze on it then top that with a wax to protect the glaze. At least thats how I think it should be cause if you put the glaze on first then the sealant. I would think the sealant would not be able to cure to the paint as well and might not last very long because the glaze itself doesnt last very long and wash off the paint.

bmw5541
11-13-2010, 11:41 AM
If you use an acrylic based glaze, you shouldn't have any bonding issues with the sealant.

LegacyGT
11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
So either put glaze on after sealant, but before carnuba; or before sealant if it is acrylic based (need to figure out how to verify this).

dougaross
11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
So either put glaze on after sealant, but before carnuba; or before sealant if it is acrylic based (need to figure out how to verify this).

WG glaze is really a polish(abrasive) filler-free, and wax-free. It is designed to leave a clean, high gloss surface for the sealant. Since it contains abrasives I would think that it will remove the sealant if applied on top the sealant. I can't speak to Black Hole.

bmw5541
11-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't lay a glaze on top of a sealant. It will give you more gloss, but will most likely will wash off at the first rain or your next wash.

reality33
11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Glaze after polish and before sealant. WG glaze is a paint cleaner basically (as stated above), and preps the paint for the sealant or wax.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

ScottB
11-13-2010, 02:19 PM
It should be noted that some glazes are sealant compatible. The old rule that glazes only went under 'nuba waxes is no longer 100% true. I have found Poorboys to offer some currently.