PDA

View Full Version : Post clay bar questions

jlindahl2571
11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok so before I get going tomorrow I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

The plan is wash, clay, polish, sealant.

Should I wash again after claying? With soap? Just rinse?

And will one clay bar be enough for the whole car? I used the other one on my rims and I don't want to cross contaminate.

Thanks guys.

DARK HORSE
11-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Ok so before I get going tomorrow I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

The plan is wash, clay, polish, sealant.

Should I wash again after claying? With soap? Just rinse?

And will one clay bar be enough for the whole car? I used the other one on my rims and I don't want to cross contaminate.

Thanks guys.

Yes your plan sounds great. No there is no need to wash again after you clay. I usually clay one section at a time and wipe the lube off that section before I move to the next. (remember to use high quality MF's when ever touching the paint). Yes 1 clay bar should be more than enough for 1 vehicle. Just remember if you drop it on the ground though, THROW it away..

jlindahl2571
11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok thanks. I bought my MF towels at Target so I'm not really sure how high quality or not they are. I guess I'll have to try the CD test on them before I use them.

Emm
11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok thanks. I bought my MF towels at Target so I'm not really sure how high quality or not they are. I guess I'll have to try the CD test on them before I use them.

Target towels are acually pretty good, I use the orange MF's on my wheels

MonoPed
11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Storing the used clay can be a pain, since it wants to stick to plastic containers. Wrap the clay in a piece of parchment paper (used for lining cookie sheets), then place in a ziploc bag or plastic container. The parchment paper absolutely will not stick to the clay.

SeaJay's
11-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Your plan sounds good.

1 clay bar will be more than enough (as long as you don't drop it). Typically I can get 3-4 cars out of 1 piece of clay (depending on how bad the cars are of course).

I have a plastic container that I store my used clay in and my new clay. A spritz of your clay lube in the container keeps it from sticking to the sides.

TornadoRed
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
You shouldn't have to wash after clay, but someone recently asked about a wash or IPA wipe after polish and before sealant/LSP. I think most people agreed to removing the oils from the polish prior to the next step. I use an IPA because it seams like the polish I've been using leaves a lot of oil behind. Maybe I don't buff it good enough.

Dubbin1
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Storing the used clay can be a pain, since it wants to stick to plastic containers. Wrap the clay in a piece of parchment paper (used for lining cookie sheets), then place in a ziploc bag or plastic container. The parchment paper absolutely will not stick to the clay.

Nice tip!!!

slimnib
11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
What IPA standfor?

DARK HORSE
11-12-2010, 07:40 PM
IPA = isopropyl alcohol

CLipster
11-12-2010, 10:02 PM
When you are saying IPA wipedown, what strength do you use?

Or is there a special dilution that is better than others?

I was planning a project like this and was just going to try.

thanks

Old Tiger
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I tear a piece of clay off the bar, an 1/8 of total, I use and kneed as necessary. If I drop it, Im not out the whole bar, A good Quick Detailer will work as a lube.

Old Tiger
11-12-2010, 10:39 PM
When you are saying IPA wipedown, what strength do you use?

Or is there a special dilution that is better than others?

I was planning a project like this and was just going to try.

thanks
You can use rubbing alcohol or 91%. Dilute as you see fit. I would dilute 91% 50/50 or Rubbing Alcohol less since it is 70%/ It will flash too quick at full strength.

CLipster
11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
so Like for a gallon container, half water half IPA?

what do you mean by flashing?