PDA

View Full Version : can diluted soap replace interior detailer?

slickooz
11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I wanted to know if using really diluted car wash soap to clean the interior of the car would work. Couple drops of Meguiar's gold class wash in a bucket and a MF cloth, will it provide the same cleaning ability? Today I cleaned some parts of interior with diluted soap, do I need to wipe it again with rinsed cloth? Trying to save some money so I can buy other stuff for detailing.

Old Tiger
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Seems like it would leave a residue. A diluted APC would be cheap and easy.

BobbyG
11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Most if not all car wash products can be diluted and used to clean a interior. It's a soap and depending on the dilution ration will determine how effective it is on dirt, grime, and stains.

I would wipe the area down with a cloth and clean water as a precaution to ensure any residue is removed.

Be careful and test to ensure its compatibility with the interior.

slickooz
11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I use a drop of soap in about a gallon of water. Then I use a MF and throw it into the bucket. I then rinse all of the liquid out of the MF and wipe down the inside of the car. Is that safe? Can I also use it to wipe leather?

BobbyG
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I use a drop of soap in about a gallon of water. Then I use a MF and throw it into the bucket. I then rinse all of the liquid out of the MF and wipe down the inside of the car. Is that safe? Can I also use it to wipe leather?

I'm not sure how effective a cleaning using only 1 drop of soap / gallon. You might be able to use up to 1/2oz per gallon thereby increasing the solutions effectiveness. You should have no problem with leather due to it's being sealed and treated prior to it's use in an automobile.

snowking724
11-11-2010, 07:40 PM
It's safe. I would put a dressing on after for looks and mostly protection(especially in that newer Acura in your pic). There are some wallet friendly interior cleaner/protectants that I would use instead, check the store.

slickooz
11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
The car is only a month old, so the car is very clean. Just wanted something to use beside just wiping it down with water. Is Meguiar's APC same as supermarket APC?

Kurt_s
11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Often all you need is a damp MF towel for keeping hard surfaces clean. Then apply your favorite interior protectant. Some of the protectants also have some cleaning ability.

An APC will help remove dirt on door panels, in carpet and various upholstry. Megs APC or APC+ and Opt Power Clean have broad use both inside and outside the vehicle if you want a multi-purpose cleaner that can be used as an interior detailer. I personally prefer OPC but Megs APC+ is cheap and works pretty well.

I caution you when using a diluted soap. It can be very difficult to get some soaps/detergents out of the carpet or fabric upholstry. The soaps often attract dirt to the surface so carpets and fabric get dirty more quickly. You also don't want to damage leather. Several people have recommended diluted Woolite to me as a interior cleaner which should leave less residual detergents that attract dirt than a car wash, dish soap or other non-specific soap.

I hope that helps!

Chris Thomas
11-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I agree with Kurt. Soaps need to be rinsed. It would be hard to get any cheaper than an APC 10:1, or ONR, or Opti Clean if you buy the concentrate .

seakans
11-12-2010, 01:40 AM
I wanted to know if using really diluted car wash soap to clean the interior of the car would work. Couple drops of Meguiar's gold class wash in a bucket and a MF cloth, will it provide the same cleaning ability? Today I cleaned some parts of interior with diluted soap, do I need to wipe it again with rinsed cloth? Trying to save some money so I can buy other stuff for detailing.

Ohh perfect! You drive an Acura too! I have for years used Pledge Multi Surface cleaner in my 06, 07, 10 Acura. It's in the dark blue spray bottle. I use this with a MF towel on the TL dash, screen, center stack, cupholders, steering wheel, and occasionally leather spots like food, water spots. This stuff works REALLY well. It doesn't seem to dry out the leather either.

I use it on the steering wheel and it brings back the lift in the leather that's been crushed by oil from the skin and just daily driving.

By using this on the center stack aluminum, it doesn't streak or cause scratches in the plastic display window for the radio, etc. Of the few times I've had an Acura loaner, the displays are so messed up from people using paper towels, etc to clean.

Clean wood, glass, electronics and more - Pledge® Multi Surface Spray & Wipes (http://www.pledge.com/multi-surface-cleaner/)
The smell of this cleaner also brings back the new Acura smell and seems to blend well. :dblthumb2:

Silverstone
11-12-2010, 04:50 AM
If it's new and not that dirty a wet/damp micro towel might be enough, no?

MF is touted to be an effective cleaner all by itself or with water, and in my experience wiping something down with one (a good one) gets things remarkably clean, even dry.
Compared to a terry towel it's like there's a cleaner on it already!

Kurt_s
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Ohh perfect! You drive an Acura too! I have for years used Pledge Multi Surface cleaner in my 06, 07, 10 Acura. It's in the dark blue spray bottle. I use this with a MF towel on the TL dash, screen, center stack, cupholders, steering wheel, and occasionally leather spots like food, water spots. This stuff works REALLY well. It doesn't seem to dry out the leather either.

I use it on the steering wheel and it brings back the lift in the leather that's been crushed by oil from the skin and just daily driving.

By using this on the center stack aluminum, it doesn't streak or cause scratches in the plastic display window for the radio, etc. Of the few times I've had an Acura loaner, the displays are so messed up from people using paper towels, etc to clean.

Clean wood, glass, electronics and more - PledgeŽ Multi Surface Spray & Wipes (http://www.pledge.com/multi-surface-cleaner/)
The smell of this cleaner also brings back the new Acura smell and seems to blend well. :dblthumb2:

Nice heads up regarding the Pledge multi surface. OPC and APC+ have broader utility but for an OTC interior cleaner, your experience sounds interesting. Do you use a protectant dressing with it?

slimnib
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
A top notice detailer at another forum uses Woolite diluted in water. His work looks great.

seakans
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Nice heads up regarding the Pledge multi surface. OPC and APC+ have broader utility but for an OTC interior cleaner, your experience sounds interesting. Do you use a protectant dressing with it?

I had avoided using dressing on the 07 TL for years until it started getting an ashy white appearance. So I started using 303 Protectant. While it did work well, it was hard to keep the even sheen and I preferred the matte finish over the dull wet look. I have heard of using Woolite on the TL dash followed by 303 Protectant too.