PDA

View Full Version : Review of Dimondite Speed Foam Claying System

cwcad
12-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Recieved an order from Autogeek the other day. Purchased some products that I needed to take advantage of the free give away that was offered. In it I recieved a Foam Speed clay Package from Dimondite. Here is my review.

The package was recieved in good condition, Everything was packed tight. The labels had easy to read directions. It also had everything needed to do what I had to do. So off to work I go.

Have needed to clay the tonneau cover of my truck for quite a while. I had what I think is tree sap from the parking lot of the motell that I stayed in all summer in Alaska. The tonneau cover is in terrible shape. So this will be an exteme test.
Here you can see what I was dealing with.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review006Small.jpg

I decided to do a side by side test with Dimondite Speed Foam and a yellow clay that I had using Poorboy's S&W as a lube.

Here is what the foam looks like. I used this amount to try and clean a 1x2 foot area.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review017Small.jpg

This was a tough area to do. I went over this area using both systems four times. The claybar that I used picked up a lot of contaminants. I will not use it on paint again. The speed clay system was a little messy. But the applicator washed out cleanly. It did produce a good smooth surface but I am sorry to say that it did not clean up the paint. My clay bar did the job though.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review012Small.jpg

After seeing the results of the Dimondite I needed to go over the area two more times with the clay to get the results that I wanted.

It was nice to recieve a gift from Autogeek. It was also fun to do a test and review of the product. In my opinions this is not a product that I will use again. It just does not do the job. I know that my test was an extreme circumstance. Yet I doubt that little would have changed if I would have gone to an area of my truck that has seen better care because it is easier to get at. The product is messy. Really not user friendly. I had to take precautions to make sure that the area did not dry quickly and become very difficult to remove.

End result.... I would recomend that this product be put aside in the appropriate file and never used again

ScottB
12-03-2006, 10:23 AM
what about using it on glass, which is where the spray clay was originally designed by Diamonite ??

cwcad
12-03-2006, 10:27 AM
what about using it on glass, which is where the spray clay was originally designed by Diamonite ??

Oh Man, now I have to go back and do another test. I thought it was a paint clay system. Will be on it soon as the weather warms up to cold at the present to do anything but shiver.

ScottB
12-03-2006, 10:33 AM
well they are clearly selling it as a paint cleaning kit, but it was originally designed as part of a 3 step glass cleaning kit (http://www.autogeek.net/dsc6.html). My observation would be, that unless they made it more abrasive, then spray clay for glass would not have enough 'umph for paint.

cwcad
12-03-2006, 10:39 AM
well they are clearly selling it as a paint cleaning kit, but it was originally designed as part of a 3 step glass cleaning kit. My observation would be, that unless they made it more abrasive, then spray clay for glass would not have enough 'umph for paint.

It definitely is not to good on paint.

Z06-Goose
12-03-2006, 10:46 AM
You'd probably want the Diamondite Glass & Surface Cleaner and the Diamondite Shield to seal to protect your glass as Scott recommends.
Let us know how it comes out!
Goose

3Dog
12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I have heard similar reviews..all from people receiving it as free gift from AG.
I am thinking there have a bad batch. I have used this for about 3 years or so without any problems....especially from drying to fast. On autos and the hard to reach areas it works great. I always use before sealing glass. I like it on bikes because the are always putting rubber pieces next to paint and this does not leave clay residue.

kring
12-03-2006, 12:56 PM
My review is similar, I recieved it as a free gift too. It struggled to remove bugs, tar and sap droplings larger then 1mm in size, it seemed to work fairly well on the little over spray or stuck on specs. I did the entire car from top to bottom and overall it came out smooth, I get the feeling that all the work was done by the coarse sponge and the clay foam it's self actually did nothing but serve as a lubricant. it's very light an watery... the clay came out of the can like hair mouse, extremely light and fluffy, and within 2-3 seconds it broke down to a runny liquid with approx consistancy of clay lubricant.

I was just able to finish a 2002 Altima, the can was empty when I started to do a second run at the lower part of the front bumper.

Overall it gave me a fairly smooth finish but where there were large drops of sap or tar it just smoothed over them, I had to address each one seperatly. It's good for 1 application, which at it's price, a clay+lub kit is a much better deal, lasting 5-10x longer.

I can say that as a free gift I appreciated it, The Altima I uised it on had never been detailed and I would not have wasted my ULTRA Poly clay on this car (selling in in 1 month).

supercharged
12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Recieved an order from Autogeek the other day. Purchased some products that I needed to take advantage of the free give away that was offered. In it I recieved a Foam Speed clay Package from Dimondite. Here is my review.

The package was recieved in good condition, Everything was packed tight. The labels had easy to read directions. It also had everything needed to do what I had to do. So off to work I go.

Have needed to clay the tonneau cover of my truck for quite a while. I had what I think is tree sap from the parking lot of the motell that I stayed in all summer in Alaska. The tonneau cover is in terrible shape. So this will be an exteme test.
Here you can see what I was dealing with.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review006Small.jpg

I decided to do a side by side test with Dimondite Speed Foam and a yellow clay that I had using Poorboy's S&W as a lube.

Here is what the foam looks like. I used this amount to try and clean a 1x2 foot area.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review017Small.jpg

This was a tough area to do. I went over this area using both systems four times. The claybar that I used picked up a lot of contaminants. I will not use it on paint again. The speed clay system was a little messy. But the applicator washed out cleanly. It did produce a good smooth surface but I am sorry to say that it did not clean up the paint. My clay bar did the job though.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/cwcad/PwS3%20review/PwS3review012Small.jpg

After seeing the results of the Dimondite I needed to go over the area two more times with the clay to get the results that I wanted.

It was nice to recieve a gift from Autogeek. It was also fun to do a test and review of the product. In my opinions this is not a product that I will use again. It just does not do the job. I know that my test was an extreme circumstance. Yet I doubt that little would have changed if I would have gone to an area of my truck that has seen better care because it is easier to get at. The product is messy. Really not user friendly. I had to take precautions to make sure that the area did not dry quickly and become very difficult to remove.

End result.... I would recomend that this product be put aside in the appropriate file and never used again

Thanks for the heads up. That's what I was thinking - glass only.

kansasdn
12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the good info and for passing it on:awesome: