PDA

View Full Version : Windows,just clean or do you seal it too

Pages : [1] 2

WEST SIDE
11-10-2010, 01:48 AM
With all the info.on using sealants/waxes for paint protection how many of you use something on your windows or do you just clean them?
My windows are harder to keep water spots off of than my paint,maybe it's the salt air.http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

Silverstone
11-10-2010, 01:59 AM
I use the same WGDGPS that goes on the paint for the side and rear glass. The windshield stays nude. It does seem to keep them a bit cleaner.

You mentioned salt - When I used to go fishing at the beach my car would get covered in salt residue from the breeze off the water, but since using WG Sealant it simply doesn't stick.
One day of fishing used to make me have to wash the car again, but not anymore. As long as the sealant is fairly fresh. Like within the first few washes.

Metajames
11-10-2010, 02:21 AM
I seal the windows, stays cleaner, sheds water faster in rain and wipers glide like butter. :xyxthumbs:

evojoey
11-10-2010, 03:01 AM
I use megs ultimate quick wax with great results

CEE DOG
11-10-2010, 07:23 AM
I seal the windows, stays cleaner, sheds water faster in rain and wipers glide like butter. :xyxthumbs:

+1

TornadoRed
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM

What do you use to seal the windows?

AeroCleanse
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I seal mine.

OCDetails
11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I just clean them and use either aquapel or Rainx on them. I like to stick with products meant for glass, so until I find a glass sealant out there, I'm not putting paint products on my windows. Paint sealants are designed to play with the light. I don't know that I want something made to play with light on something I rely on to see through. But that's just me... I've never seen any proof that it is dangerous to put paint sealant on your glass, but I've also never really seen any advantage to doing it instead of using Aquapel or RainX either.

Dubbin1
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I've also never really seen any advantage to doing it instead of using Aquapel or RainX either.

The advantage is that its going to last a whole lot longer then RainX and Aquapel ;)

I use spray sealants on mine and will continue to do so until I get the Cquartz on the car.

OCDetails
11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Performance is more important to me than durability these days. I've never found that the other glass treatment products had any durability issues. If I can get three or four months out of a treatment, then that is fine with me. I just reapply it three or four times a year and I'm good. Maybe a sealant will do more than that, but it is part of my three times a year full detail on my vehicles anyway, so regardless of whether I'm using a paint sealant or glass treatment, I would still reapply whether it had worn off or not. Luckily I live in a desert, so it tends to last a lot longer. It is only October through April that I really have to worry about it wearing out before I reapply it, but when I put it on in April I'm good for 6 months. Different climates are probably different though, so use whatever works. :)

Dubbin1
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Performance is more important to me than durability these days. I've never found that the other glass treatment products had any durability issues. If I can get three or four months out of a treatment, then that is fine with me. I just reapply it three or four times a year and I'm good. Maybe a sealant will do more than that, but it is part of my three times a year full detail on my vehicles anyway, so regardless of whether I'm using a paint sealant or glass treatment, I would still reapply whether it had worn off or not. Luckily I live in a desert, so it tends to last a lot longer. It is only October through April that I really have to worry about it wearing out before I reapply it, but when I put it on in April I'm good for 6 months. Different climates are probably different though, so use whatever works. :)

Wow thats pretty good, RainX has never lasted me past the first wash.

OCDetails
11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
A lot of that could be in how I apply it. I have a lot of people tell me that RainX is hard to use. I clean the glass and apply it before I wash the car. Then when I wash the vehicle I wait till the very end before I do the glass. That washes off all the haze without streaking. Since it has set a little longer than just applying it and wiping it off, it could count for more of the durability. I always get at least three months out of RainX and always more than that out of Aquapel.

lee1dew
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I use Aquawax on all of my glass (windshield included) and never had any problems. Water seems to roll right off my windshield at freeway speeds.

toxygene
11-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I have been wondering about this myself. Recently I tried Aquapel and am not very impressed with it. Are there any particular sealants that work best on windows or can you use pretty much anything?

IOMCAMARO
11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I was thinking about trying Adam's glass sealant, but I can't justify spending $20 on such a small bottle when they claim it is only good for 200 miles of wet weather. I'll stick to my Rain-x. I have had the same Rain-x on my side windows for the past 6 months and it still runs off easily.