PDA

View Full Version : Storing your car for the winter.

mcpp66
11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Okay, this may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it. Before you store your car for the winter, are you supposed to fill your tank or leave it almost empty?

jpegs13
11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
The tank doesn't really matter. If you don't put the car on blocks, over inflate the tires by about 5 psi

Scott DeBrun
11-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Make sure you start the car and let it warm up to keep the fluids and gas "fresh". In other words the oil,gas, etc won't sit and possibly separate causing problems.

Black Car
11-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I would fill the tank. If it gets really cold where you live condensation forms on the inside of the tank. Also, when I store my boat, I put some "Sta-bil" fuel stabilizer in there.

loudog2
11-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Definitely run it a few times and connect it to a battery tender.

wytstang
11-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I would not turn it on and let it idle or just rev the engine till it worms up. That causes even more condensation then just letting it sit there. On it's last fill up pour some Sta-bil in the tank and fill up, this will mix it well and on the drive home it will get Sta-bil in the lines as well. Disconnect your battery and put it on a trickle charger through out winter. If you want to avoid possible flat spots in your tires then buy 4 floor jack stands and get her of the ground. That's all you will need. All my mustang e-buddies do this every winter and over the years this method has proved it works for even the Canadians and Netherlands.

dan_s2k
11-10-2010, 01:01 AM
I would not turn it on and let it idle or just rev the engine till it worms up. That causes even more condensation then just letting it sit there. On it's last fill up pour some Sta-bil in the tank and fill up, this will mix it well and on the drive home it will get Sta-bil in the lines as well. Disconnect your battery and put it on a trickle charger through out winter. If you want to avoid possible flat spots in your tires then buy 4 floor jack stands and get her of the ground. That's all you will need. All my mustang e-buddies do this every winter and over the years this method has proved it works for even the Canadians and Netherlands.

X2