PDA

View Full Version : MS/IPA Wipedown

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Burke
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Hello

Just a couple questions before I start another project.
This is a car that has never detailed so I plan on claying and doing
a total correction.
I have been reading about the IPA or M spirits wipe down. I am pretty sure
what I need to do but wanted to get some advice and make sure first.

Is it a “have to” step....good idea step.....necessary step ?

I plan on using : Wolfgang twins
DP Poly sealent
Collinite # 845

And I assume that I would wipe it down after the WGFG and before applying the
DP Poly-Coat ?

Thanks …...Mike

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Wipe it down with 70% IPA diluted 1:1. It's important to have a bare surface before applying any LSP.

jkk7479
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Wipe it down with 70% IPA diluted 1:1. It's important to have a bare surface before applying any LSP.

I have also wondered though....is it really a necessary step?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I have also wondered though....is it really a necessary step?
You could re-wash the car if you wanted to. Bottom line, you don't wan't any left over polish oils/residue on the paint before applying an LSP. Could you still apply an LSP directly after polishing(skipping any wipedown) with good results? Yes, but it's not the best idea.

BobbyG
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
There are really two reasons for performing this step.

1. Cleans and left over polish and oils from the surface making it perfect for the next step whether a sealant or wax.

2. It allows you to inspect the surface to ensure that the paint correction you think you did was actually done.

It's cheap, effective, and it works.........:props:

Mike Phillips
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
People have been waxing cars longer without wiping them down with alcohol than people have been waxing cars after wiping them down with alcohol.

If you consider the Model T was the car that transitioned us from riding horses to driving cars and it was introduced in 1908 and consider the practice of wiping paint with alcohol has only been "widespread" since discussion forums were invented, that would be about about 90 years of non-wiping and about 8 or so years of wiping....

That means millions of people have been applying wax or paint sealant to their cars without ever following the practice of chemically stripping their car's paint before applying "something".

To paraphrase my forum friend Mosca...

I've never walked out into a garage only to find out that overnight the wax or paint sealant slipped off the car's paint and piled up on the floor surrounding the car because it didn't bond or stick to the paint because the person didn't first chemically strip the paint.

To the OP, if you don't want to you don't have to. Now if the manufacture recommends that you chemically strip the paint in order for their protection ingredients to bond to the paint then I'm a big proponent of following the manufactures recommendations.

I'm writing an article on how-to chemically strip your car's paint and as a part of this I spoke with a second chemist on this topic and what he had to say was very interesting.

:props:

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm writing an article on how-to chemically strip your car's paint and as a part of this I spoke with a second chemist on this topic and what he had to say was very interesting.

When are you going to post this?

Dubbin1
11-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Here we go again...

Mike Phillips
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
There are really two reasons for performing this step.

1. Cleans and left over polish and oils from the surface making it perfect for the next step whether a sealant or wax.

2. It allows you to inspect the surface to ensure that the paint correction you think you did was actually done.

It's cheap, effective, and it works.........

The second step you list is a good reason if you want to insure the results you're seeing are in fact the results you're producing.

The first reason is subject to the wax or paint manufactures recommendation and personal preference.

Does anyone have a list of ALL the wax and paint sealant manufactures that actually in written form recommend chemically stripping paint before applying their product?

Where is that list?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Here we go again...
Oh for hells sake D!! :D

Mike Phillips
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Here we go again...

Yep... since it's a popular topic I thought I would write an article about it... :laughing:

When are you going to post this?

Probably when it's finished...

:laughing:

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Probably when it's finished...

Thanks for the informative answer. :rolleyes:

Dubbin1
11-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh for hells sake D!! :D

:D The last IPA thread didn't turn out so well.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
:D The last IPA thread didn't turn out so well.
LOL...I remember.

Dubbin1
11-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Yep... since it's a popular topic I thought I would write an article about it... :laughing:

I wasn't referring to the article you are writing.