PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #83 Dual Action Polish

dbbrooks
11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Has anyone used the Meguiars 83 polish. I haven't used it yet. Would like to hear what everyone thinks. I'm trying to settle on a system. I'm frustrated with the work time of 205. I haven't used the Pinnacle XMT's yet. It would be great to hear any opinions. Feed back please

OCDetails
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
This was my 'go to' product for years and years. It is definitely nothing new. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would put it at about a 6 in abrasiveness. It does a fantastic job of cutting swirls, but it does make a mess when you are using it. It throws a lot of dust as the polish clumps up and spits out the side of the pad. But if it cuts swirls, then who can really complain? In fact, in my original full detailing guide I put on my site several years ago, DACP was the polish I recommended. This was before I had used any of the Poorboy's polishes and long before Wolfgang or some of these other well talked about products had hit the market.

Autogeekonline may be a little too new for it to have much talk here, but there are other forums that are older which will have plenty of information about DACP. It is a good product.

yakky
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Megs 83 is a classic. It works very well and is a pleasure to use, however it doesn't have much bite on hard clears. The working time on 205 is quite long, so not sure what the issue is for you, now if you mean 105, yes.

dbbrooks
11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Megs 83 is a classic. It works very well and is a pleasure to use, however it doesn't have much bite on hard clears. The working time on 205 is quite long, so not sure what the issue is for you, now if you mean 105, yes.

My mistake, yes that's what I meant. Just looking to see if there are other alternatives.

daveinsweethome
11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
agree totally with the above. very good middle of line polish. was my go to for years. still use it occasionally but like xmt 360 correct more now.

dbbrooks
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
agree totally with the above. very good middle of line polish. was my go to for years. still use it occasionally but like xmt 360 correct more now.

I like XMT 360 also but when multi staging is needed I'm trying to settle down on one line up.

dougaross
11-09-2010, 11:02 AM

I found it somewhat ineffective on my hard Audi clear. 105/205 work great.

Mike Phillips
11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I taught most of the Saturday Detailing 101 classes and the TNOG's at Meguiar's from 2002 to 2009 when I left Meguiar's and joined up with Autogeek and in these classes we used a lot of M83 until M105 was introduced as it was the most aggressive cleaner/polish available by Meguiar's that could be used with a DA Polisher.

It works well on some paints but like a LOT of product when used with an oscillating motion it can remove swirls and scratches but leave behind tiny tick marks we call micro-marring or hazing.

The new SMAT product work much better than M*3 which is a DAT product.

At the same time, you never know what you can do until you try, it could be M83 will work great for you and your car's paint.

I always got very good results when using it with a rotary buffer and a foam polishing pad but wipe-off could become very difficult as your pad became wet with product, for this reason I would always switch to clean, dry pads and there were no issues.

I have at least on thread on MOL on M83 that was written to clear up confusion on Autopia on the meaning of the name... you might like reading this...

The Term "Dual Action" as it relates to M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20877)

This was a popular one years ago...

PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! (The Limits of Dual Action Polisher) (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3056)

This article is not mine, but you might like it...

Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique! (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23577)

It's not near as aggressive as M105 or Ultimate Compound but maybe give it a try and see if it works for you... it's been around a long time and responsible for a lot of really nice looking finishes...

:)