PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Haziness....

MikeBit
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey AG family, how you all doing?? Great I hope. I'm stumped here, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

So recently, about a month ago, I got some water spot etchings into my black 350z. They were in there pretty good so I found out through this forum that I can remove them with a little elbow grease and some Meg's Scratch X. I went ahead and bought some, and applied the Scratch X with a foam applicator. To my relief, it did work out well and the spots were gone. I applied a thin layer of Natty's Blue Paste Wax over it, buffed it all out, and called it a day. Two weeks later, I'm doing my typical walk-around to check for signs of anything odd, and sure enough I find something. The right rear panel I worked on has hazed up, and it's difficult to see (sun has to be beaming down on it). Now, I'm PRETTY damn sure I buffed out the wax completely. Plus, if it was wax residue I could just wipe it down then and there and it would be gone, but in this case it didn't. The car was sitting under extreme temperatures for two days so the panel had become really really hot for those two days. My question is.... was it the scratch x application that may have done this? Is this haziness signs of the wax melting off? Do I get rid of it by applying light polish, or a more aggressive polish? I just want to know where the heck this haziness came from!

I will post pictures when I get the chance. Thank you guys!

Dubbin1
11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I would try a light polish before anything else.

zliegen
11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Do an IPA wipedown and see if that gets rid of it, swirlx should not cause haziness, unless your foam applicator was dirty or something.

Edit: Oh, scratchx not swirlx.

You should probably use a finer polish to finish down the scratchx, its quite possible that scratchx left hazing.

jpegs13
11-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Without pictures it would only be a guess, but it could be micro-marring from the scratch-x

MikeBit
11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
This micro marring you guys are mentioning seems to fit the description. I just inspected it again (it's cloudy today so the sun isn't really beaming down on it so I can snap a photo) and there appears to be some fine scratch-like makeup on the area that's causing the haziness. I'm starting to think it's not haze at all.... just these micro-marring scratches reflecting light off the car in a different fashion than the smooth paint.

I have two cutting polishes.... I have Menzerna Power Gloss and Power Finish. These scratches look like they're reallyyy light. I'm thinking of using a green pad at 4.5 with the PC, paired with the Power Finish. Do you guys think this will do the trick???? Damn... I guess applying scratchx by hand isn't such a good idea. I'll have to remove the 4 month old sealant using IPA along with the layer of wax I've added to it 2 weeks ago. Thanks a lot for this important bit of info. Micro marring did not cross my mind one bit. I'm just concerned with which combination of polish + pad + speed to use to get rid of it. I'm still learning the ways of detailing.

snowking724
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Start with a light polish if you have one.

MikeBit
11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I have Menzerna Super Finish.... my lightest polish. But it has no cut. Do you think it would still work? If so, should I reduce the speed on the PC as well? I'll need to use my blue pad with Super Finish....

snowking724
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd try that with the green pad. Keep us posted.

Rsurfer
11-07-2010, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=MikeBit;377141]
I'm thinking of using a green pad at 4.5 with the PC, paired with the Power Finish. Do you guys think this will do the trick???? ]

That should do the trick.