PDA

View Full Version : Removing Polishing Oils without IPA

SilverJag
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi everybody,

I recently detailed my car using 105/205. I understand it is customary to remove polishing oils with an IPA wipe down, however, I thought I would be 'clever' and follow with a mild cleaner (Autoglym SRP). Do 'pre-wax cleaners' such as SRP remove and clean the paint from left over oils?

From experience, it would seem it doesn't because upon applying WDGPS3 three weeks ago, there was no beading action when I last washed the car a day ago.

Any experiences & advice is greatly appreciated.

zliegen
11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
By applying WDGPS3 over autoglym super resin polish you reduced its durability, SRP leaves a lot of stuff behind on the paint that reduces a sealants ability to bond to the paint.

BobbyG
11-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the question I'd like to ask is; why would you not want to use Isopropyl Alcohol if it's recommended and works?

Harleyguy
11-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with BobbyG it's simple and cheap as far as price and it accomplishes the needed results .

SilverJag
11-07-2010, 12:35 PM

The reason I usually like to go with a pre wax cleaner such as SRP or Black Hole is because it fills. My 67 Jag XKE has extremely thin paint so I try to avoid heavy correction. I used 105 to spot treat, but I usually go for light applications of 205. Back to the original purpose: the SRP/BH fills in while supposedly primering the paint for wax/sealant.

The general consensus is to not do that?

EDIT: the key is to use a pre-wax cleaner that does not contain wax? I figure since SRP is fully synthetic and WGDPS3 is synthetic, there would be no bonding issues.

Dubbin1
11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
The general consensus is to not do that?

Not if you want your LSP to last ;)

Waxmax
11-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I've used BHG quite a bit and have topped it with a variety of sealants including WG....seems to work for me. Now Autoglym's SRP I have not used. Another nice precleaner/filler is WG Paintwork Polisher Enhancer.

ShineTimeDetail
11-07-2010, 01:03 PM
So do all polishes. Have oils removed need to be removed?

Waxmax
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes. In order to closely inspect your work after polishing it is necessary to wipe the surface with a product like IPA to remove any oils and residue.

As far as then using a precleaner/filler product (that is designed to be used just before the LSP), that's up to you. I typically do that in hopes I might conceal some minor blemishes that I missed and or do not want to remove because of thin clearcoat. JMO.