PDA

View Full Version : Help! How long with clay??

OZD 35
11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I've been claying my car for the past few years and it always takes me about 4 hours to clay my 350Z. I read an artical somewhere on claying and it said that claying should take 1 hour for newbies. How long does it take you guys?? What the heck am I doing wrong? Am I just too anal???

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Four hours is too long, unless you are doing the interior and the underbody, then it's about right.

OZD 35
11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Four hours is too long, unless you are doing the interior and the underbody, then it's about right.

Lol I know it's too long! It's freaking frustrating. I just clay the exterior... front/rear bumpers, hood, roof, etc.

Perfections
11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Are you removing over spray off the whole car? If so 4 hours might be about right!

OZD 35
11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Are you removing over spray off the whole car? If so 4 hours might be about right!

No. Just trying to remove the everyday contaminants.

Dubbin1
11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
4hrs is about 3 1/2hrs too long ;)

Perfections
11-06-2010, 04:10 PM
What kind of clay are you using? Are you still seeing stuff coming off after making 4 hours worth of passes? To be honest the only time I've spent close to 4 hours claying a car was when the car was covered in over spray. For regular contamination about 1 hour max usually less.

memphisraines26
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
to thread jack, how long is clay good for? I haven't done a whole car yet.

OZD 35
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
What kind of clay are you using? Are you still seeing stuff coming off after making 4 hours worth of passes? To be honest the only time I've spent close to 4 hours claying a car was when the car was covered in over spray. For regular contamination about 1 hour max usually less.

I'm using Clay Magic. The clay is pretty clean. I'll do a section and then feel it using a plastic bag and it still feels somewhat gritty.

Perfections
11-06-2010, 05:35 PM
If your still feeling stuff in the paint after that much claying you might wanna try a decon kit....or go with a more aggressive clay...but then your most likely gonna need to polish the car afterwords to get rid of the slight marring depending on paint color/technique.

Lasthope05
11-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm using Clay Magic. The clay is pretty clean. I'll do a section and then feel it using a plastic bag and it still feels somewhat gritty.

Did you make sure the plastic bag was clean and free or dust/particles? Plastic will naturally pick up a static charge when rubbed and attract dust to it so you will constantly have to keep on wiping it down before rubbing against the paint. That could be what you are feeling. Like everybody else has said, 1 hr tops for claying unless you have over spray on your paint.