PDA

View Full Version : Help please... what to do?

Pages : [1] 2

MaximumMD
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Recently on the last few cars that I have detailed, the batteries have died while I was detailing the customers car. I'm mobile so it's not like I have a battery charger on had. I know it's because the battiers were old and about to go anyway, and that the interior lights are left on when I'm cleaning the inside. Any suggestions on what I can do to not drain the battery besides turning the lights off? (I know that was dumb of me). Have any of you run into this problem too?

Dubbin1
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Simply unhook the battery or pull the fuse for the interior lights.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Battery tender.... They are small and can easily be brought to a mobile job

Unhooking the battery terminal may be an inconvenience for the customer due to radio codes (anti theft) and reprogramming stations/settings/etc

WestEnd
11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
AUGH... unless you really know each model specifics, please don't disconnect the battery. Battery Tenders work great. They only charge when the battery needs it.

I have cars that if the battery was removed nothing would happen, some others I have become a ridiculous nightmare if they lose electrical. I actually keep the tenders on them whenever they are in the garage. Anything from roll bars, convertible tops, radios as mentioned, to windows, relays, auto adjusting suspensions, paddle shifters.... Man the list doesn't end. Even pulling fuses on one causes headaches, its really a sensitive car, ha ha. Needs daily massages. :)

Anyway not attacking, just passing along info I learned the hard way.

Shane731
11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Deltran Battery Tender, Brand Battery Chargers & Tenders, battery tender jr, battery tender plus (http://www.autogeek.net/batterytender.html)

jpegs13
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Just take some tape and tape over the switch on the door jamb. Problem solved

Dubbin1
11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Just take some tape and tape over the switch on the door jamb. Problem solved

Most cars now a days don't have that little switch ;)

jpegs13
11-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Most cars now a days don't have that little switch ;)

That's where your dome light fuse suggestion comes in handy :xyxthumbs:

snowking724
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Mid way through, turn on the car. I use a programmer with my truck and if the battery is unhooked the program is useless and the programmer won't work with any other vehicles. You never know who has one.

teker
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Carry a battery booster. $50-60 come in handy for jump starts.

Harleyguy
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Very easy way to avoid this is all interior lights have a three position switch off/on/or work with the doors.You can turn it off other way is also easy most interior lights get the on signal from the door lock use a small screwdriver and trip the lock to the closed position.It will turn off the lights just remember to use the door handle to unlock the lock so when you close the door it engages into the striker again.

Dubbin1
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Very easy way to avoid this is all interior lights have a three position switch off/on/or work with the doors.You can turn it off other way is also easy most interior lights get the on signal from the door lock use a small screwdriver and trip the lock to the closed position.It will turn off the lights just remember to use the door handle to unlock the lock so when you close the door it engages into the striker again.

Not all cars have that feature.

dougaross
11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Simply unhook the battery or pull the fuse for the interior lights.

NO, No. to unhook battery- lose all memory

SeaJay's
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Carry a battery booster. $50-60 come in handy for jump starts.

I would say that this is probably your best bet for a mobile detailer. If you don't have any electric supply for a battery tender, these can be charged and put on a car/truck to jump start it. If you have an electric supply (which I'm not sure if you have a generator or not) I'd just get a battery tender.

zliegen
11-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I would say that this is probably your best bet for a mobile detailer. If you don't have any electric supply for a battery tender, these can be charged and put on a car/truck to jump start it. If you have an electric supply (which I'm not sure if you have a generator or not) I'd just get a battery tender.
:iagree: