PDA

View Full Version : Newby questions

costo
11-04-2010, 02:01 AM
First I had my car professionally detailed about 6 weeks ago and want to ask a few questions about keeping the car in sterling condition.

OK so I am finding the paint very soft and dont want to be rubbing product on it all the time as it seems to cause swirl marks in the paint which is why I had it detailed in the first place. My plan of attack is to layer either Z5 or wolfgang sealant, then use P21s wax over the top????

I was thinking about using some polishbefore the sealant, but I dont have a buffer and dont want to add swirl marks. Most seem to have abrasive in them so I am worried about using these by hand? any recomendations???

Also he used swissvax concorso wax, how long will this last and will I need to use a wax cleaner or polish before the sealant????

CHeers

ScottB
11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
most waxes last 6-8 weeks max under normal environments. They can be increased by using a spray wax like Souveran Spray Wax weekly after a wash session.

Polishes mechanically abrade the surface and have abrasives in them. Some products, like Zaino Z5 for instance, use the word polish openly when infact its more of a pure sealant with no cleaners nor polishes. I guess it stands out in a crowd. Its really quite similar to synthetic waxes like Wolfgang.

To keep the finish pristine and without need to repolish consider good washing and drying techniques. Washing with two buckets and soft safe mitts towels will help or products like ONR. For drying use a leaf blower, and then spritz finish with detail spray before final wiping to remove spotting, it will also act as a lubricant.

costo
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok cheers

I have duragloss aqua wax which I use for a quick wash and a MF waffle weave drying towl which I use to dry.

But I am thinking about putting the sealant on soon and are there any polishes which dont contain abrasives that I could use before I start to put the sealant on????? Or a product I can get which will remove the wax.

I did a small patch of clay but its still silky so no need for it yet.

ScottB
11-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Look to paint cleanser lotions like Pinnacle, P21S or Dodo to remove old wax and prep surface. They contain no appreciable abrasives.

costo
11-09-2010, 01:36 AM
thanks, I couldnt find anything on P21 not containing abrasives but will just grab some dodo juice to do the job..... May have to buy online from here but shipping is going to negate almost any strength in the Aus $$$$$$$

I am thinking about going all out and getting a polisher at some stage too..........

Cheers

Dr Oldz
11-09-2010, 02:49 AM
P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser has no abrasives and works well by hand! It cleans old wax off and does leave a noticable improvement on the gloss factor! It works great on light swirls and water spots. I have been using it for a few years with good results. It will leave the paint ready for ur sealant or wax of choice! Works best if applied by microfiber or terry applicator.....foam doesn't give the best results IMO!

RUMDIESEL
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Hey Guys I'm new to the forum but have been following and reading the post for a while now. I am just starting in the whole detail gig and need some guidance. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited white. I always wash it every week and then hand wax it every couple of months so the paint it not in bad shape. So i want to step my game up and give my jeep that wet, deep gloss look and keep it looking good. Where do I start? P.S. I'm going to be purchasing a porter cable 7424xp. Thank you in advance for your help.

CaneCharger
07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Rumdiesel - I just went through this process - after much research and help from the forum members, here is what I am going to do:

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
Menzerna Super Finish Polish
Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845