PDA

View Full Version : Megs G220 and pads?

Dude2k
11-03-2010, 01:00 PM
hi dudes.
i have been using my g220( 220V version of the G110) for a few times trying to train my skills and i use megs soft buff 2.0 7" pads.
but my question is, are those pads to big for my litle whimpy g220? it seems to have a hard time turning the pad sometimes,
you guy´s recomend another type of pads or machine?

thanx guy´s (sorry for the spelling)

Harleyguy
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't use anything larger then a 5.5 pad with a DA.Even with the newer DA's i still stick to 5.5 pads that size seems to work perfect.

likes2shine
11-03-2010, 07:34 PM
dose any know what counter wt. to use with4' pad with the 7424xp

Type[R]+
11-22-2010, 07:07 AM
hi dudes.
i have been using my g220( 220V version of the G110) for a few times trying to train my skills and i use megs soft buff 2.0 7" pads.
but my question is, are those pads to big for my litle whimpy g220? it seems to have a hard time turning the pad sometimes,
you guy´s recomend another type of pads or machine?

thanx guy´s (sorry for the spelling)
Yes, your pads are too big, but no, your g220 is not whimpy!
Try the 5.5" pads, they work a treat! I got a g220 as well, I use LC 5.5" flat and hydrotech pads. I started out with 6.5" LC ccs ones, but they didn't want to spin when trying to correct.

Mike Phillips
11-22-2010, 08:39 AM
If you use really good technique you can keep the 7" pads rotating under pressure on a G220 or any of the Meguiar's polishers but smaller pads will always rotate better because there's just plain less surface area for the tool to have to rotate.

With smaller diameter and thickness pads it requires less technique to keep the pads rotating and thus more people are able to get better results faster and easier.

Pick up a 5" backing plate and some 5.5" pads, either the Flat OC, CCS OC or Hydro-Tech CC pads all work great, probably the best all around pads are the simplest and that's the 5.5" Flat Open Cell Foam pads.

Read through this... the tips and techniques apply to any DA Polisher, first generation or second generation and even any pad size...

How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-ability-1st-gen-porter-cable-dual-action-polishers.html)

LOTS of pictures in the above thread of pads and backing plates in a way you can easily get an idea of size...

The outer edge of the face of these pads is tapered so they are actually a little under 5" in diameter
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/811/5_5FlatPads02.jpg

The above article is under Dual Action Polishers in my article list...

:)