PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight brake dust removal?

MrHandWash
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a couple spots on my wheels that the previous owner allowed moronic tire installers to put wheel weights on the outside.

I am looking at vintage 91' BBS rims on my 91 Rx7 Convertible. They're flawless, not a single ding on them. Alluminum alloy material, but I want to try and find an alternative to micro grit sanding it off and then bringing it to a profesional for $300 to recoat them.

Any suggestions on how to get out microdeposites of brake dust in slight pit spots on rims as well as wheel weight spots that doesn't involve sanding or restoration?

I've already tried a low based ph cleaner and let sit for 30 seconds and tried to clean. Still can't do anything... and quiet frankly I'm not letting an alkaline based cleaner sit on the rims for more than 30 seconds before cleaning.

ScottB
11-03-2010, 12:10 PM
If they are coated, how about a little hand polish (paint polish) ??

Setec Astronomy
11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I've already tried a low based ph cleaner and let sit for 30 seconds and tried to clean. Still can't do anything... and quiet frankly I'm not letting an alkaline based cleaner sit on the rims for more than 30 seconds before cleaning.

If it was a low pH that would make it an acid cleaner. An acid cleaner should be able to dissolve the brake dust deposits but if there are corrosion pits they will still be there.

MrHandWash
11-03-2010, 02:12 PM
It will get the deposites out of the pits, but it won't do anything to the wheel weight spots. I think it may have eaten away at the coating, in which case I may have to get them re-coated regardless. For the rims being as old as they are, they look brand new from like 5 feet away. Move a little closer and you'll notice microdeposites in the pits, but my left side driver and rear tire both have those small wheel weight spots, such an eye sore. I think I'll go for some rim polish and see if that can cover it up some.

If anything I'll just clean them maticulously and have them re-coated next summer. I hope some polish will clean them up nicely.

Also... as a side note, any advice on how to get microspots of wax off a black vinyl top? I already tried a bristle brush as well as wetting a towel to try and soften them up to scrub off. I've tried using a small kitchen poly material sponge, still didn't take those boogers off =/