PDA

View Full Version : Sealant Bonding?

RandyD
10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
About a month ago I put on a sealant that AG does not carry. I have used Optimum car wax as well as Meguiars Quick wax on top of it. If I am going to apply another sealant (either Poor Boys EX-P or DP Poli Coat) do I need to first polish to remove the spray waxes or will either of these sealants bond to the car as is?

Thanks

Dubbin1
10-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Already answered on another forum ;)

Rsurfer
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
About a month ago I put on a sealant that AG does not carry. I have used Optimum car wax as well as Meguiars Quick wax on top of it. If I am going to apply another sealant (either Poor Boys EX-P or DP Poli Coat) do I need to first polish to remove the spray waxes or will either of these sealants bond to the car as is?

ThanksIf you don't need to polish to remove marring, just use a pai
nt cleaner or do an IPA wipe down. Not a good idea to put a sealant over a wax.

RandyD
10-31-2010, 07:17 PM
I just noticed it said the following on the Autogeek website regarding DP Poli-coat Paint sealant - "With most paint sealants, it is recommended that you use a pre-wax cleaner first to prep the paint for the sealant. This step promotes bonding and improves the clarity of the shine. But what if you could achieve the same high bonding and clarity without a second step? That’s what you get with DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant".

Anyone ever try this without polishing or removing carnauba wax first?

Thanks

aerogt01
10-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Well my first question is, do you need another coat of sealant?

Generally I have found if you mix things too much you will run into issues such as streaking/drying problems/or decrease in longevity.

loudog2
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Well my first question is, do you need another coat of sealant?

Generally I have found if you mix things too much you will run into issues such as streaking/drying problems/or decrease in longevity.
A second coat is usually good to make sure you get any spots you might have missed. As for coats, someone did a experiment and showed that there is no reason for more than 2 coats. The second coat of carnuba added protection, but the third took some away.

truckbutt
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Meguiars recommends two thin coats of its M21 ver 2.0 sealant, mostly I believe to catch any areas you may have missed on your first pass.