PDA

View Full Version : Leather steering wheel

bodavenport
10-30-2010, 10:54 AM
The wheel in my new to me truck is leather wrapped and in pretty good shape what leather product would you guys suggest that won't be slippery or become tacky over time? It seems as though everything I have tried is either slick as glass or dries a little tacky on the wheel. I am currently out of leather products so looking to get something for this purpose. The best IMO that I have used so far is by Sal but never used it on a steering wheel.

CEE DOG
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I use my UIGP on my steering wheel as well. For a cleaner Leather masters soft cleaner. Maybe get the Leather masters kit... Although I haven't used the crotectant on a steering wheel so not sure how it would come out. It certainly isn't greasy though.

akimel
10-30-2010, 11:07 AM
The wheel in my new to me truck is leather wrapped and in pretty good shape what leather product would you guys suggest that won't be slippery or become tacky over time? It seems as though everything I have tried is either slick as glass or dries a little tacky on the wheel. I am currently out of leather products so looking to get something for this purpose. The best IMO that I have used so far is by Sal but never used it on a steering wheel.

I clean my leather steering wheel with Leather Masters cleanser. I no longer apply any kind of protectant to it, as I do not like the feel it leaves. Plus: I doubt the protectant lasts very long anyway given constant handling of the steering wheel. I suspect it's more important to clean the wheel regularly than worrying about "protecting" it. Just my two cents.

CEE DOG
10-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I doubt the protectant lasts very long anyway given constant handling of the steering wheel.

Not sure how long the LM protectant would last on that high traffic area since I haven't been using LM long enough, but UIGP does seem to last a good while. That said it does leave the steering wheel very "soft" so do test it out if you have issues keeping a grip on your wheel.

I suspect it's more important to clean the wheel regularly than worrying about "protecting" it. Just my two cents.

I agree that cleaning is the most important thing. However having UIGP down does exactly that. Keeps the sweat and oils off the material and allows you to wipe clean easily.

WestEnd
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on mine. I wipe it down after, and haven't noticed any difference in the feel and it doesn't soil either.

akimel
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Not sure how long the LM protectant would last on that high traffic area since I haven't been using LM long enough, but UIGP does seem to last a good while. That said it does leave the steering wheel very "soft" so do test it out if you have issues keeping a grip on your wheel. I agree that cleaning is the most important thing. However having UIGP down does exactly that. Keeps the sweat and oils off the material and allows you to wipe clean easily.

Based on your previous review, UIGP is the one product I am tempted to purchase to protect my interior leather. :xyxthumbs:

watermark
10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty consistent in my method, and I'm happy with the results for my 335i BMW.

First I clean the steering wheel with Griot's Garage Interior cleaner and a microfiber cloth. After cleaning, I lightly dress it with 303 cut 2:1 with distilled water, and then wipe off the excess with another microfiber. Leaves the wheel nice and black with no slickness or tackiness.

trhland
10-30-2010, 07:34 PM
i use the pinnacle leather cleaner and conditoner...:xyxthumbs:

cfd135
10-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I also use Griot's Interior Cleaner, but I find on some cars a MF towel damp with clean water leaves a nice finish.