PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter System

Joshua312
03-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey Jason, I heard from a member on another forum that you tried the water filter system. If you get a chance could you post a review for us? Im debating whether to make this purchase or not, it looks like a great product but haven't heard much. Great forum!:D

ScottB
03-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Joshua, I was speaking with Jason about these just the other day. Really wanted to know the difference between another well known filtration system and ours. Heres what Jason told as difference, and hopefully we can get his personal take on how the system works shortly.

A deionizer removes all positively and negatively charged ions, exchanging them for hydrogen and hydroxide ions. Whatever is in the water will be removed. It will remove calcium and magnesium just like a water softener, but it will also remove sodium, silica, carbon, and all other dissolved ions.

Deionizers are usually reserved for drinking water because a lot of what they remove isn’t bad for a car. Hospitals and laboratories typically need deionized water, sometimes called “medical grade water”. Deionized water certainly won’t hurt a car but it doesn’t offer any real benefits to a car. Water softeners are more cost effective if you’re just going to use it for your car.

A water softener removes calcium and magnesium from the water to “soften” it. Soft water prevents water spots. Some people are concerned that the water softener puts sodium into the water and that this will cause their vehicles to rust. It won’t happen. The amount of sodium is minimal. It’s about 8 mg/liter for each grain of hardness per gallon of water hardness. Basically, a gallon of milk has more sodium than a gallon of softened water.

Matt
03-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Great post, Scott!

I got to use the softener at home. I washed the car, and left it wet out in the driveway while I went and got food. Came back in an hour, and dried whatever water was left with no water spots at all. It definitely does a great job removing minerals from the water and minimizing the severity of water spots.

Joshua312
03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
oooh man just what I was expecting...My wallet is going to be empty soon :p Well it sounds like a great product and I cant wait to hear Jason's personal experience with it. I had the Mr. Clean Auto Dry before...sure it worked but the cost of replacing parts for it and the flow of water was sooo minimal and slow it just isnt worth it. Cant wait to try this product out :)

01GTB
03-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I look forward to hearing from users how long the softener can go before needing to be rejuvanated. I know it will vary greatly and that there is no set answer. I am on the fence, and about ready to buy one. I am not a full time, pro detailer (anymore) but like to keep my stuff nice and hate having the spray a dark vehicle down over and over again, having to pull it into shady area only to have leaves fall on it, or having to wash just before the sun goes down.

Miami_Sunset
03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
tHIS PRODUCT SHOULD BE QUITE INTERESTING.

Neothin
03-18-2006, 03:28 PM
ive actually been thinking more and more about this system. Just this morning, 75 degrees out, early morning sun (8 AM) and I was getting HORRIBLE water spots in about 5 minutes. Now i know most of this is due to my bad water quality in my area (so bad the water has a slight tint of white to it), but still... with me being in Florida, it's only going to be getting worse as summer nears. with how bad my water is, do you think it would be best to use 2 softener cartridges instead of just 1?

04mach1
03-18-2006, 05:15 PM
A water softener removes calcium and magnesium from the water to “soften” it. Soft water prevents water spots. Some people are concerned that the water softener puts sodium into the water and that this will cause their vehicles to rust. It won’t happen. The amount of sodium is minimal. It’s about 8 mg/liter for each grain of hardness per gallon of water hardness. Basically, a gallon of milk has more sodium than a gallon of softened water.

right on my best friend does kenmore water softner repair and has talked to the manufactor a few times and hes told me these facts
a gallon of soft water contains less sodium than 1 thin sliced piece of white bread.
the salt is only used for regeneration of the "resin", the sodium thats in the water is part of the ionization process in which the calcuim, etc molecules are replaced by a sodium molecule.
using potassium instead of salt for regenerations will not reduce the soduim in soft water, the potassium is actually worse for the unit as it likes to "bridge" (form itself into a solid block) easier than salt. postassium also does not clean the resin as good as salt so the hardness level needs to be increased by 20-25% if your using potassium. for example your hardness is 20ppm when using potassium it would need to be raised to 25ppm.

04mach1
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I look forward to hearing from users how long the softener can go before needing to be rejuvanated. I know it will vary greatly and that there is no set answer. I am on the fence, and about ready to buy one. I am not a full time, pro detailer (anymore) but like to keep my stuff nice and hate having the spray a dark vehicle down over and over again, having to pull it into shady area only to have leaves fall on it, or having to wash just before the sun goes down.
it all depends upon the water usage, how hard the water is and what grain capacity softner you have.
I have a 40,000 grain unit and with 3 people at the house our regenerates every 3-4 days, our hardness here at the house was tested at 17ppm.

mind you this is on a "on demand" unit, which triggers a recharge when 75% of the capacity has been used.

Theres a turbine in the outlet from the softner to measure how many gallons you use and its already programmed for its grain capacity and depending on the hardness you have it set at it know how many gallons it can soften before it regenerates.