PDA

View Full Version : Trim & Molding Care

Pages : 1 2 [3]

MinorDetailz
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you TOGWT, definitely will look into these!

borabora1989
03-15-2008, 01:55 AM
does anyone know how to remove dried paste wax on these moldings?

Matt S.
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM

DP Cleanse-All and an old toothbrush :cheers:

maiku
08-23-2008, 11:36 AM

As the previous poster said. That'll work. You could also use any automotive All purpose cleaner like Meguiars APC+ and scrub it off w/ a toothbrush or detail brush.

GMC83
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
ur good, wanna do my trim

eddi887
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I know this is an old thread, but was hoping to get some help. I'm new to the forum, and live outside Austin Texas; hi everyone. I just bought a 2005 Subaru Baja, that has some black plastic trim around the rear window, and along the top on the roof rack. There is brown stuff on a lot of the trim; it looks to be sprayed on. I thought it might be some crap they sprayed on it at the car lot because I didn't notice that much of it when I bought it, but it seems more has shown since then.

Anyway, I've tried a Meguiars product, as well as 3M's plastic cleaner, and neither did anything. Is there a way to get this stuff off?

I posted a picture in the gallery and you can see the brown on the roof rack ends, even from a distance. I sure hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance....Jeff

CK_Autospa
08-11-2012, 02:10 PM
anyone use shin-etsu? Its great on the soft seal door mouldings and it stops/reduces leaks and squeaks!

hardtop s2000 owners know all about this!

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=255

Docjunaid
04-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Self edit

jem7sk
12-06-2014, 07:08 AM
anyone use shin-etsu? Its great on the soft seal door mouldings and it stops/reduces leaks and squeaks!

In the Corvette forums the recommend dielectrical grease for the same thing.. Thoughts?

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2014, 09:31 AM
In the Corvette forums the recommend dielectrical grease for the same thing.. Thoughts?

Oh funny...back in the 70's GM used to recommend Dow Corning #4...or was it #7? for door seals, etc. These were silicone dielectric greases (one was thicker than the other) that would be used for things like insulating high voltage ignition parts (anyone who had a GM HEI ignition system from the 70's knows what I'm talking about...although I'm trying to remember what part that grease went on...wasn't there a big rubber washer that the rotor contact went through?).

Anyway, I'm sure there's lots better products today for door seals, although I can kind of understand why you might want a grease for a removable hard top.

Desert Rat
12-14-2014, 05:02 PM
I owned an S2000 for 13 years. One tube of Shin-Etsu Grease kept the rubber around the windows, doors and convertible top soft, pliable and like new for the entire time. Also used that same tube on the rubber window and door surrounds in my other two cars. It works, and a little goes a long way.