PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring how to detail my roof

booya620
10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone I recently purchased a f150 super crew cab and can't figure out how to approach taking car of the roof. I can hit above the rear doors standing in the bed but above the front seats is difficult. I guess just an "A" frame ladder running along side the car. Anyone got a better suggestion? Ps forgive me I've always owned sports cars and have always used autogeek but this car is 3 feet higher than anything I'm used to. Kinda afraid of scratching it with the ladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldmodman
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Stand in the bed. That will get you to a little over half, maybe more.

For the front just use a ladder. You will not only have to move it from side to side but front to back. It's really hard on you back and arms to twist back and forth without being able to move your feet.
It might be worth the expense to get a scaffold if you can find one at a reasonable price.

daveinsweethome
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
home depot has an aluminum scaffold type ladder in their ladder section. about 26 inch height. i use it for suv roofs. helps my bad knee. reasonable price too.

Shane731
10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Get a good pair of stilts. :D

Amazon.com: stilts Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=stilts&sprefix=stilts)

bodavenport
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I use an extended wand with my microfiber wash mitt on the end of it to reach what I cannot by standing on the bed and standing on the tires. I have an 04 supercrew cab or a screw cab as it is called

Vette 03
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Menards has a small scaffold on sale for 20.00 dollars, if you purchase be sure to lock the wheels!! Check it out and put towels over the scaffold next to your vehicle!!:buffing::hotrod2:

AeroCleanse
10-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a 6' ladder A-frame style

Porsche Pilot
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
+1
"home depot has an aluminum scaffold type ladder in their ladder section. about 26 inch height. i use it for suv roofs. helps my bad knee. reasonable price too."

Kurt_s
10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
I just finished a F250 with the super cab. That was a beast.

I did 1/2 standing in the bed and used a heavy duty A-frame ladder for the front. You may want to lean into the polisher, so make sure the ladder is stable. I also highly recommend an apron with pockets to keep towels, pad brush and product handy so you don't climb up and down the ladder too much. If you are worried about the ladder touching, you can always tape padding at the potential contact points with the truck.

I owned an aluminum ladder that could be converted to a scaffold base, but it "disappeared" when we moved to our new home. I used a 2x8 or 2x10 across the metal rungs to stand on for painting. It was the most flexible ladder that I have owned. Look for stablity and make sure the locking points are strong and reliable.

KyleGates
10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe I'm thinking too simply, but I toss the wash mitt on top, open the door, put a towel on the inner sill plate and stand on that. Works for me at least.

AndrewBall
10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
two 8 foot ladders and 2x12 ??? ive done this before but i screwed a 2x4 to the bottom of it for added strength. worked well. little weird standing a few inches above the hood.

Dr Oldz
10-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Drywall stilts for when I'm polishing and such! Just don't leave anything on ground level or you can't reach it...LOL

booya620
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
well its a good thing the roof doesn"t get as dirty (fingers crossed birds don't unload on my car now!) as lower parts. don't know why i didn't think of 2 A frames and wood plank (considering I've done roofing in the past), but its a great idea. also i was thinking of one of those multiple position ladders that hinges in 3 spots. I do have a wash wand for the roof too, but doesn't help with waxing/sealing

killrflake
10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Like daveinsweethome mentioned I bought one of those 26 inch aluminum scaffold step-up things and it is perfect for any size vehicle I work on. When I'm finished with whatever project I'm doing the legs just fold up and I hang it on a hook on my garage wall. It's quite strong and has no trouble holding my 270 lbs. of excessive girth.

WestEnd
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
I have an Expedition and no luxury of a bed to reach any of it. I use a ladder to wash and stand in the door sills to polish, wax. When using a ladder I put a towel over the top, I had it tip onto the door. Got lucky but prepared for next time. Kurt beat me to it, figure put a way to get everything within reach. Or you won't need to do stairclimber exercises for a while.

Those scaffolds are sounding like a great idea since they fold up. Might have to get one.