PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Steam Cleaners

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm interested in an inexpensive steam cleaner for door jambs, tires, wheels, engine compartments and general around the house use. I will also experiment with carpets and fabric upholstry, as I can't justify an extractor as a hobbiest.

I watched a recent video using a Wagner Steam Cleaner (I assume the 905) that I thought was quite remarkable and found cleaners from ~$50 to thousands of dollars out there.

I think a steam vapor cleaner with temperatures pushing 280F at the boiler and 220+F at the tip would make more sense to minimize the amount of water sprayed into carpets and fabric. Do you get that with the Wagner's and McCullough's?

What are you using and are the <$100 Wagners' and McCullough's worth trying? Do they really cut brake dust build up and clean out door jambs effectively? Do they kill smells in the carpet? Do they help eliminate future stains in carpet?

Dubbin1
10-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I too am looking for the same thing and just don't have the cash for the big money steamers. I have been watching some videos on youtube about the Wagner Power Steamer and it looks like it could get the job done. For under $100 I think it may be worth a shot.

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I too am looking for the same thing and just don't have the cash for the big money steamers. I have been watching some videos on youtube about the Wagner Power Steamer and it looks like it could get the job done. For under $100 I think it may be worth a shot.

I think the 905 runs around $50 at Sears. The McCullough is just under $100 at Wally World.

C. Charles Hahn
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Whatever you do, just don't pick up one of the "Steam Shark" branded steamers; I'm currently using one and I absolutely hate it -- I had one originally that lasted me for years, and when it finally wore out I bought a new one that is terrible by comparison. It spits and sputters instead of providing a constant supply of steam like my old one did.

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Whatever you do, just don't pick up one of the "Steam Shark" branded steamers; I'm currently using one and I absolutely hate it -- I had one originally that lasted me for years, and when it finally wore out I bought a new one that is terrible by comparison. It spits and sputters instead of providing a constant supply of steam like my old one did.
Thanks for the heads up.

AndrewBall
10-28-2010, 02:22 PM
looking forward to hear what you guys choose. i too am interested in this.

Dubbin1
10-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I think the 905 runs around $50 at Sears.

Man you had me excited until I checked it out, the Wagner at Sears is $93.49 :(

mchess1
10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
79.99 at that long river in South America

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Man you had me excited until I checked it out, the Wagner at Sears is $93.49 :(
I googled it last night and an ad came up at $50. Bummer...

Camaro2010
10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
subscribed.

mbkite
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Iam in

Lasthope05
10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I did research on this about a year ago when I was looking into steam cleaners. Dont go cheap when it comes to a steam cleaner. The wagner unit is underpowered in that it doesnt not have enough pressure to really blast out dirt unless it is right up again the object. Once the steam is released and pressure drops it starts to spit out water. It is not a continuous fill unit meaning once you run out of water you have to wait 15-20 minutes for it to cool down before you can fill it up. Then you have to wait another 10-15 minutes for it to be hot enough to product steam again.

A great (some what affordable compared to the others) steamer that comes up a lot is the vx5000. Not a continuous fill but has a 1 gal tank which is more than enough.

D_Nyholm
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I did some reading on the various forums about a year ago on this and it seemed the Macullough (Too lazy to look for the spelling!) was the one to go with. Like all the others are saying, the Wagner didn't get the good reviews. I never ended up picking one up, but am looking to shortly since I'm getting more work now.

14automobiles
10-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I have been shopping for a steam cleaner for a while and just purchased the Wagner 905 today. I already have extractors but I wanted a steamer for small jobs like door jams and hard to reach cracks and crevices. If I like it I will buy more for my detail shop. I don't think its capactiy is a negative for small jobs.

I will receive the unit in one week. I will take some action pictures of it and report on it on this forum. The proof is in the pudding, right?

By the way, I got it on Amazon today. Free shipping, $79.99.

Tyrod
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
79.99 at that long river in South America

Rio Parana?