View Full Version : Suggestions for Steam Cleaners

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

mchess1
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Rio Parana?

:laughing::righton:

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I was very impressed with the thread by the guys from AutoLavish. Apparently they use the Wagner steam cleaner. The McCullough seems to be in the same price range and gets similar high and low reviews. I just can't afford an expensive steamer right now.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/29888-great-indoors-examples-vehicle-interior-detailing-autolavish-2.html

Dubbin1
10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I was very impressed with the thread by the guys from AutoLavish. Apparently they use the Wagner steam cleaner. The McCullough seems to be in the same price range and gets similar high and low reviews. I just can't afford an expensive steamer right now.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/29888-great-indoors-examples-vehicle-interior-detailing-autolavish-2.html

I think it would work just fine for my needs :xyxthumbs:

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it would work just fine for my needs :xyxthumbs:

Best price I've found is $79.99 as noted earlier.

The Wagner is supposed to be more powerful than the McCullough on one site.

Toymachine2009
10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
From what I understand mccollough and Wagner are pretty much the same.. If you look at pics of the two side by side theynlook exactly the same.. And the attachments for each work with each other.. Wagner used to be sold at Costco but I no longer see it there.. I think though there pretty much the same.. I seen. Numerous threads about Wagner doing just fine on here and on other detailing threads..

There is both. You take a look and they both look identical you be the judge same machine to me just one is different brand and little cheaper.

McCulloch steamer Amazon.com: McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DF0RB/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009XEL4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G1Q9WZBTJ21JH1XRPWP)

Wagner Amazon.com: Wagner 905 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I618NY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009XEL4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G1Q9WZBTJ21JH1XRPWP)

Rob T
10-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I've gone back and forth on whether it would be worth if for me to get a steam cleaner for at least 5 years now. I think for a hobbiest like myself, it probably just isn't worth it, as I can't see myself using it very often at all.

Toymachine2009
10-28-2010, 10:38 PM
I've gone back and forth on whether it would be worth if for me to get a steam cleaner for at least 5 years now. I think for a hobbiest like myself, it probably just isn't worth it, as I can't see myself using it very often at all.

Do you just do your own cars? Or other peoples as well? Cause I know it would be great for mats and carpet and leather and door jams and prob a bunch of other uses. I started out as a hobbyist now I may be starting my own detailing shop soon.

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm on the bubble. There are times when I really would like one, but once per month? Maybe for my PITA BMW wheels?

Rob T
10-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Do you just do your own cars? Or other peoples as well? Cause I know it would be great for mats and carpet and leather and door jams and prob a bunch of other uses. I started out as a hobbyist now I may be starting my own detailing shop soon.

I do detail friends and family member vehicles, and I know it could come in handy at times.

I'm on the bubble. There are times when I really would like one, but once per month? Maybe for my PITA BMW wheels?

Yeah, you might be able to justify it on the Bimmer brake dust issue alone! I'd use it a lot less than once a month.

Dubbin1
10-28-2010, 11:15 PM
You can use them for a whole lot more then cleaning you cars. Just think how much easier it would be to clean your BBQ grill ;)

TLMitchell
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
From what I understand mccollough and Wagner are pretty much the same.. If you look at pics of the two side by side theynlook exactly the same.. And the attachments for each work with each other.. Wagner used to be sold at Costco but I no longer see it there.. I think though there pretty much the same.. I seen. Numerous threads about Wagner doing just fine on here and on other detailing threads..

There is both. You take a look and they both look identical you be the judge same machine to me just one is different brand and little cheaper.

McCulloch steamer Amazon.com: McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DF0RB/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009XEL4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G1Q9WZBTJ21JH1XRPWP)

Wagner Amazon.com: Wagner 905 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I618NY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009XEL4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G1Q9WZBTJ21JH1XRPWP)

The McCulloch is distributed and probably manufactured by SteamFast. They sell identical machines under their own brand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wagner comes from them as well although there's no mention of it on SteamFast's Web site.

You'd be surprised how many ways you can find to use a steamer. I picked up the McCulloch when Amazon had it on sale with free shipping. They owed me 50 bucks from a long-ago return so I appled it towards the steamer. I was primarily interested in working on a carpet stain in my home that had been resistant to everything else I tried. Worked great! :xyxthumbs:

Then I blasted the grunge off my gas grill and it looked like new again. Next I tried it on tile & grout in the shower where over the years crud builds up in the corners. Worked like a charm. That led me to trying it out on tile & grout floors which led to the linoleum kitchen floor then the stove, oven... HELP! I can't stop! :eek: And I haven't even gotten to the cars yet.

The McCulloch is a low-grade machine. It comes with limited attachments, the tank is only good for 45 minutes or so, you have to wait for it to cool to refill. You have to turn the whole thing upside down to empty it. Highy recommended to let it totally and completely cool before doing this... don't ask how I know this. :doh: If I use it frequently I wouldn't expect it to last much past the warranty expiration. If I use it infrequently I expect it may go belly-up from disuse over time. However, for under a hundred bucks I'll get my money's worth out of it and it's validated for me that picking up a VX5000 when the time comes will be a good move. Steam makes cleaning stuff kinda fun. :props:

I think the industry ought to adopt an oxymoron as it's motto:

"Steam is Cool!"

YMMV... TL

Toymachine2009
10-28-2010, 11:17 PM
You can use them for a whole lot more then cleaning you cars. Just think how much easier it would be to clean your BBQ grill ;)

+1 on that. Showers, Floors, Carpet stain removal, Counters, Grill

Now I def want one

Rsurfer
10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
The McCulloch is distributed and probably manufactured by SteamFast. They sell identical machines under their own brand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wagner comes from them as well although there's no mention of it on SteamFast's Web site.

You'd be surprised how many ways you can find to use a steamer. I picked up the McCulloch when Amazon had it on sale with free shipping. They owed me 50 bucks from a long-ago return so I appled it towards the steamer. I was primarily interested in working on a carpet stain in my home that had been resistant to everything else I tried. Worked great! :xyxthumbs:

Then I blasted the grunge off my gas grill and it looked like new again. Next I tried it on tile & grout in the shower where over the years crud builds up in the corners. Worked like a charm. That led me to trying it out on tile & grout floors which led to the linoleum kitchen floor then the stove, oven... HELP! I can't stop! :eek: And I haven't even gotten to the cars yet.

The McCulloch is a low-grade machine. It comes with limited attachments, the tank is only good for 45 minutes or so, you have to wait for it to cool to refill. You have to turn the whole thing upside down to empty it. Highy recommended to let it totally and completely cool before doing this... don't ask how I know this. :doh: If I use it frequently I wouldn't expect it to last much past the warranty expiration. If I use it infrequently I expect it may go belly-up from disuse over time. However, for under a hundred bucks I'll get my money's worth out of it and it's validated for me that picking up a VX5000 when the time comes will be a good move. Steam makes cleaning stuff kinda fun. :props:

I think the industry ought to adopt an oxymoron as it's motto:

"Steam is Cool!"

YMMV... TL
Know of any steamer that is more durable in the $200-300 price range? I need a steamer that will clean textured concrete floors, about 400 sq. ft. every week or so.

TLMitchell
10-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Know of any steamer that is more durable in the $200-300 price range? I need a steamer that will clean textured concrete floors, about 400 sq. ft. every week or so.

Didn't do a lot of shopping but AFAIK there seems to be a large gap between the hundred buck models and the $695 VX5000. There's a couple in that price range here:

Vapor Steam Cleaners: Residential and Commercial (http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/vapor-steam-cleaners.html)

The jury is still out on the McCulloch durability for me. I suppose I'm pessimistic due to the price point and all the plastic parts. One of the better attachments is for floors, it uses a velcroed MF pad that's washable. Seems to leave the floors wetter than you'd expect... probably one of the 'features' of a low-budget machine. If the concrete doesn't get incredibly cruddy this may work fine for you. Might want to pick up some extra MF pads as only two are included. Accessories are available on SteamFast's Web site as well as their branded units.

TL

AndrewBall
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
looks like im picking myself up a wagner!

great info guys. Ill post my results in the next week or two when i get it. Actually in the next week or two im gonna have like 5 product reviews to write. Wish me luck