PDA

View Full Version : Paint correction

GaryD
10-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I did a black pathfinder yesterday. It had acid rain or oxidation all over it, including the glasses. I used M 105/205. I did a wash and clean along with the paint correction. What is a fair price for paint correction? It took about 8 hours to do. It turned out very nice. This is the first time I've used M 105 on windows, it worked like a charm, but I noticed that the orange foam pad would turn black and I had to clean pad several times, is this normal for the acid rain to be black?

Toymachine2009
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Few things come to mind.. Did you clay bar first? Maybe the paint was dirty which is why your pad is coming off black.

did you use a rotary or DA? If rotary you might of been burning the paint because when polishing I dont think pads should come up black unless its single stage paint.

Dubbin1
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
IMO 8hrs for a cleaning and 2 step correction on a black SUV seems a bit fast.

Toymachine I think he is talking about his pads turning black from the glass.

Mike Phillips
10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
but I noticed that the orange foam pad would turn black and I had to clean pad several times, is this normal for the acid rain to be black?

Just to double check, your post reads like you're saying the orange pad was turning black from buffing the glass?

Or did you mean the paint, or both?

If your pad is turning black when you buff just the glass it could be some kind of built up air-borne dirt that on the glass or maybe overspray paint?

Could it be you ran the pad over any surrounding rubber, plastic or vinyl trim?

Or did you mean the pad turned black after buffing out the paint?

If so then it could be built-up staining and contamination on the paint, overspray paint on the paint, a tinted clear coat, or a single stage paint, maybe a re-paint?

:)

GaryD
10-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Few things come to mind.. Did you clay bar first? Maybe the paint was dirty which is why your pad is coming off black.

did you use a rotary or DA? If rotary you might of been burning the paint because when polishing I dont think pads should come up black unless its single stage paint.

The black was coming from the windows, and I did use a rotary, it removed all the acid rain. I didn't clay the windows but should have.

GaryD
10-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Just to double check, your post reads like you're saying the orange pad was turning black from buffing the glass?

Or did you mean the paint, or both?

If your pad is turning black when you buff just the glass it could be some kind of built up air-borne dirt that on the glass or maybe overspray paint?

Could it be you ran the pad over any surrounding rubber, plastic or vinyl trim?

Or did you mean the pad turned black after buffing out the paint?

If so then it could be built-up staining and contamination on the paint, overspray paint on the paint, a tinted clear coat, or a single stage paint, maybe a re-paint?

:)

yes, I did bump the rubber trim close around glass a couple times, probably come from that. I just didn't think about it coming from that at the time. The reason I know is because I put some trim restorer where I had bumped into the rubber. I got to be more careful next time.

ROMEO
10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
yes, I did bump the rubber trim close around glass a couple times, probably come from that. I just didn't think about it coming from that at the time. The reason I know is because I put some trim restorer where I had bumped into the rubber. I got to be more careful next time.

Or just tape the rubber around the windows next time... :props: